Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Clay Breeding Pots Questions
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paolo

PostPosted: 2003.03.18(Tue)12:10    Post subject: Clay Breeding Pots Questions Reply with quote

I am looking to make some breeding/hiding caves for my Ancistrus in one tank and a pair of Kribensis in another. I am looking for details about where to place the hole(s) and how large they should be. Also any advice on how to safely break a hole into the side of a clay flower pot without shattering the whole thing?
One last thing is, any advice on what size pot(s) to use in each case?
Badfrog

PostPosted: 2003.03.18(Tue)15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you want an opening in the side? I inherited cheap brown clay pots and used a hammer and flathead/slothead screwdriver to chisel out an opening. Tap gently and either cradle the pot in your lap, or set it on something soft to avoid shattering it. My first attempt on a blacktop driveway left me with shards.

I don't know anything about the two species you mention personally, so I won't try to offer any advice on hole size, except to say that I've since given up on chiselling openings in pots and instead just use different sizes as necessary, turning them on their sides.
Jay
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.18(Tue)21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of making a hole in it you could just lay the pot on its side and partially bury it in the substrate.
smudge
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.04.14(Mon)2:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

In most home, tool, and craft supply stores you can buy special ceramic drill bits though the larger the hole you want to make the more the drill bit costs. It does help to have a drill lol. These work great for terra cotta pots as well as most ceramic and even glass. My drill has a special setting so I can turn the rpm's way down and have made 4 inch holes, in a lot of different terra cotta posts, it just takes a little time and some water to keep the drill bit from getting to hot. I hope this helped.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: