Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
10 gallon with 2 gold fish
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jagzia
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.05.23(Sun)16:51    Post subject: 10 gallon with 2 gold fish Reply with quote

I am new at having gold fish. I have them in a ten gallon with a pleco. I feed them peas and I have some zucchini in there for the pleco. I know I need to get them some gold fish food but I have some flakes for now (I know to sock them first before I add them to the water.) Is the 10-gallon tank OK for these two? The surface area is 190 Sq inches. What other vegs woulf be good for the gold fish and is the zucchini OK for the gold fish?

Thanks
jagzia

ps the gold fish are just 1 inch long each.
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.05.23(Sun)17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though the goldfish and pleco may be small now, this tank is by no means suitable for goldfish in the long term. Goldfish generally reach around 708 inches in a few years, and large ones can reach up to 12 inches. The pleco will reach 2 feet in captivity, but they get even larger in the wild. The pleco may also cause problems by eating the goldfishes slime coat...among other things.

I would reccomend rethinking this setup. Obviously the pleco should go back to the pet store, and if you don't have space, try to return the goldfish too. If you like the general shape and color of goldfish, take a look into some of the smaller barbs. Your tank would work for small fish like white cloud mountain minnows, small tetras, and a small bottom feeder like kuhli loaches.
jagzia
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.05.24(Mon)7:44    Post subject: Plecos and goldfish Reply with quote

Thank you for your suggestions. I have removed one of the plecos to my 20 gallon tank and I am removing the other one today. I will leave this two goldfish in this tank for now until they get to 2 to 3 inches and then move them to the 20 gallon tank. By then I hope to have a much larger tank setup anyway. These goldfish are my granddaughers and she is totally into being a good fish owner. She is only 6.

Thank you.
Kerrie
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.05.24(Mon)11:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't the same 10 gallon that has 2 plecos and three bettas is it?
jagzia
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.05.24(Mon)14:22    Post subject: 2 plecos and 3 bettas` Reply with quote

No these fish were moved. The 2 female bettas were moved to the 20 gallon, the male betta was moved to a hospital tank (see diseases and disasters forum)and now the 2 plecos are in the 20 gallon as well. I am planning on taking one of the plecos back to the LFS they said that it was fine to put two plecos in the same tank and they said that the size of the tank would dictate the size of the pleco. (I think they just wanted to make the sale, don't you)

Jagzia
matt168
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.08.02(Mon)13:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the goldfish will get too big anyways. There is nothing else to say
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nes
Members

PostPosted: 2004.08.03(Tue)18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you aren't planning on keeping that male with the 2 female bettas Confused

That's really not a good idea - but I don't want to get into a huge argument about it with another person Very Happy

Nes.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.08.10(Tue)8:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

That whole issue was resolved in an earlier thread. Considering this thread is from May that'll give you an idea. Smile
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: