Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
fishless cycle help
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wallie
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.05.17(Mon)19:53    Post subject: fishless cycle help Reply with quote

hi
I am curently doing a fishless cycle, so here are my levels..
ammonia- 4.0-5.0 ppm
nitrite- 10 ppm
nitrate- 50
pH- 7.6
water temp.- 81

My question is should I do a water change to get my nitrate down? or should I leave it how it is and see how it turns out?
Thanks for your help!
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2004.05.17(Mon)21:02    Post subject: No fish, no water change needed Reply with quote

Don't bother changing water.

I think you are supposed to reduce the daily dosage of ammonia when the nitrites show up. The nitrite processing bacteria do not like ammonia.
wallie
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.05.19(Wed)11:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

what I realy don't understand is why my nitrate levels are so hi 80ppm.my nitrite remans at 10 ppm my ammonia has droped a little 2ppm should I add more? or just be more pachent. please help

ps. I'm cycle brachish water

I'm getting a figure 8 puffer when its safe Wink
Maillis
Members

PostPosted: 2004.05.19(Wed)11:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm worried that your nitrite levels are too high and your cycle may have stalled. How long have you been cycling this tank? If you haven't seen a change in nitrite levels in about a week I'd suggest doing a 50% water change. As long as you have detectable ammonia you are fine I wouldn't add anymore until it goes to 0. Once your test kit shows it as 0 or close to it you should add a little bit of ammonia to keep your ammonia eating bacteria from starving but not so much that it pushes you past about .5 ppm.
wallie
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.05.19(Wed)13:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been cycleing for aout 7 days and my nitrite was there the next day at 10 ppm and has stayed there since the first day ny ammonia was at 4.0-5.0 I have not added any more since curintly the ammonia is at 2.0 but why are my nitrates so high 80+ppm I'm going to wate a few more days then do a water change if nothing happens to my levels I will keep an update here thanks for all your help
wormo3188
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.05.19(Wed)19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give a couple more weeks, mine did the same thing and then finally dropped from over 80 down to say 10ppm. A 1 week cycle is pretty short, it will probably take about a month atleast for the whole thing to completely cycle
Maillis
Members

PostPosted: 2004.05.19(Wed)22:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've only been cycling for 1 week and your ammonia levels haven't dropped to almost 0 yet you've still got a ways to go. I wouldn't worry about your nitrate levels since you don't have any fish in the tank, anything under like 200 ppm probably won't effect your cycle. You'll just have to do a very large water change when your cycle is done to get them down below 40 ppm so you can safely put fish in. The nitrates are probably just being produced by the nitrite eating bacteria but it's also possible that your tap water has nitrates in it, I'd check that just to be sure.
wallie
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.05.19(Wed)22:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cheked my tap water no nitrat sor ammonia its all clean, when do you think my nitrIte levels will fall .my ammonia has droped to has droped to 1ppm to 1.5ppm my nitrates are up to 80ppm and nitrIt still at 10+ ppm holding strong keep every one posted all comets welcome and highly aprecheated
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2004.05.20(Thu)6:58    Post subject: twice as long Reply with quote

Establishing the nitrite phase of the cycle takes about twice as long as establishing the ammonia phase of the cycle. Expect something like 12 days, more or less for the ammonia to go down. Then twice that long for the nitrites to go down. roughly, your milage may vary.
wallie
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.05.22(Sat)13:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

my ammona is at zero,now what do I add more or just let it go nitrite still at 10 nitrate is at 40 thank you guys for your help
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: