Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Theoretical deck pond in Colorado
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L.G. Young
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.05.10(Mon)9:55    Post subject: Theoretical deck pond in Colorado Reply with quote

I was wondering -- has anyone here ever heard of someone building a pond into their backyard deck? Not a tiny "patio pond" or "container pond" that sits atop the deck, but a small pond that would be an integral part of the deck's construction. It would theoretically be about 7 x 5 ft on the perimeter, 4 to 5 feet deep (one ft above deck, the rest below) with a garden box around it and viewing benches.

I'm not sure if this is possible, because I'd ideally like it to be operational year-round and the winters here in northern Colorado can have some extreme temperature swings. So I'm not sure if the water freezing at the top would cause damage to the wood, etc. Also, I'm not sure if it would be cool enough in the summers if it's not deep in the ground like other ponds in our area (although I suppose insulation and shade would help).

So is this do-able? Or just a fanciful wish? I absolutely love the idea of watching goldfish swim around while I relax in the sun. If I'd my way, we'd just build a large, "natural" pond -- but seeing as our backyard is the size of a postage stamp and is on an extremely steep grade, I thought this might be a viable alternative.

Any thoughts/experience would be great.

Thanks! Smile

L.G. Young
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.05.10(Mon)10:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely talk to a pond builder in your area. The idea is sound but the expert will be able to give much needed advice because he or she will know the area and the materials best suited for such a project. Good luck.
L.G. Young
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.05.12(Wed)8:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I agree, this is one left to the pond building experts. Wink I was just hopeful that someone has heard of a similar project?

LG
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.05.12(Wed)9:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually seen similar projects done both here and in NY where I lived before. Unfortunately I have no idea how it was built LOL
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: