Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Do I have to many fish???
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fballvera22
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.05.07(Fri)9:55    Post subject: Do I have to many fish??? Reply with quote

I have a 30 gallon tank with 5 goldfish. I went ahead and bought an EXTRA large filter ( an Emperor 400) so that it can be moved from tank to tank as I increase the size of my aquarium. Will this be sufficient filtration for the time being. Three of my goldies are 2.5" to 3" long and the other two are 1.5" long. I plan on building a pond some day, don't know when, but as long as they don't out grow their tank in the mean time, do you for see any problems in the next couple years.
ACE
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.05.08(Sat)18:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the space you have available now , you should be OK ! But in the near future a bigger aquarium or a pond would suit these fish.By providing more filtration which you have done , the aquarium should remain in pretty good shape along with proper feeding and water changes.Remember , growth and maturity in goldfish continues throughout the life of the fish and just doesn't stop.

ACE
guppicat
Members

PostPosted: 2004.07.12(Mon)4:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is a good rule I found in a nutrifin fish magazine
one litre can house 2cm of fish (tip nose- base tail)
have a nice day luv cat
tigerbarb444
Members

PostPosted: 2004.08.08(Sun)22:51    Post subject: do I have to many fish Reply with quote

you should be fine because the rule is 1 gold fish per five gal.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.08.10(Tue)8:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually for goldfish, throw the one inch per gallon rule or 2cm per litre rule out the window and keep it there. Goldies are absolute waste machines and pollute their environment faster than you can say waterchange.

Fancy goldies and their slim bodied cousins require different size homes as well. Personally comets should be in nothing smaller than an outdoor pond or 75g tank due to their eventual 16-24" size and the amount of swimming room needed. I'm not talking about koi here, who should be in nothing less than a several thousand gallon pond. Fancy goldies are round bodied fish that a general guideline would be 15g for the first goldie and 10g each additional goldie. 10g tanks are just not tall enough for a full grown fancy goldfish.

I would definitely upgrade your tank in less than a year because they do grow quickly and become bigger waste machines.
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.08.11(Wed)12:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. I'm really surprised at how fast goldfish can grow given adequate space outside(and then getting an understanding of why they are used for feeders). I have some that are 6 months old that have started from egg and shot up to 3-5 inches!
WhitecloudFan
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.08.18(Wed)8:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone confirm for me that Goldfish will not grow bigger than the tank will allow Question
Sakura
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.08.28(Sat)5:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goldfish will grow bigger than the tank will allow! How ever, in a small tank their growth will be stunted and they will be unhealthy and die early. Goldfish in too small a tank probably will not grow to there full size because usually they will die to lack of space. Fish only growing to the size of their tank is a myth!

KuraKura Smile
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.08.28(Sat)12:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhitecloudFan wrote:
Can someone confirm for me that Goldfish will not grow bigger than the tank will allow Question

If we stiuck you in a pine box would you only grow to the size of the box?
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: