Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Home Depot substrate?
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PilotDan
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.05.06(Thu)1:39    Post subject: Home Depot substrate? Reply with quote

Question

Is it true? I heard that the "ocean sand" at Home Depot and similar places is the same stuff as argonite. The place I read about it had a comment from a reader that had heard that the stuff says not recomended for aquariums on it because the company made a deal with the place that sells aquarium argonite. does this stuff really work. I hope it does, I'm getting ready to move to a new house and then it will be time for the biggest aquarium I can get.
T5Chris
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.05.06(Thu)2:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard the same thing.. but when I checked my local home depot, all I found was playground sand; which was a mixture of some other kind of sediment.

It may vary from place to place, but that's just my observation. I too have to get a few hundred lbs of sand for my new aquarium.
ErockZ28
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.06.15(Tue)10:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

southdown play sand red white blue clear bag is the only sand useable from HD as it is not silica based --- I just bought a 50lbs bag for 5 bucks to give mye 34 gal a 4 in DSB

10 Gal Fry Tank - 40-45 fry atm
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.07.23(Fri)4:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it in mine and its doing fine and yes it is aragonite they sell
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: