Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Black Widow Tetra's
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Widower
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.11(Mon)9:19    Post subject: Black Widow Tetra's Reply with quote

Hey, just a quick question, I obtained 5 Black Widow Tetra's. But afterwards read that they are best kept in schools, the day I read this, one of the Widow's died, so I was down to 4. I went to 4 different fish shops last weekend, and none of them had Black Widow Tetra's, and they said that they are not going to be getting any in. I am from England, so cannot use aquabid as some people have mentioned. I was wondering if other tetra's, such as the normal Neon's, etc. would school with the Black Widow Tetra's, I gussed that they wouldn't as they look completely different fish, but perhaps they will, please give me some help, thank you Smile
Type-R
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.11(Mon)13:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Widower,

Yes like most tetras Black Widows (or black/gold skirt tetras as they are sometimes known) do like to be in a shoal, preferably of 6 or more. In my experience very few species of tetra will shoal with other species. Something small like neons may even get picked on by the widows when they get older - you know they can grow to 7cm (pretty big for a tetra).
Where in England are you? I find Black Widows are one of the most common fish in my local stores.
Something else you should think about before you add any more fish to your tank is figuring out why one of your widows died. Was it diseased? Are your water parameters OK (ammonia and Nitrite reading 0)? You really should make sure there are no problems first before getting more fish.

Hope this helps you out Smile
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: