Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Too much Salt! How to get it down?
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adamprice271
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.04.15(Thu)14:33    Post subject: Too much Salt! How to get it down? Reply with quote

Hey guys. My 55 gallon salt tank has been cycling for about 3 weeks now and should be ready very soon (nitrites are almost gone) and my salinity has ben perfect until this week. My water level dropped and some salt evaporated but my slainity went through the roof (almost 40ppt) and I added about 3 gallon of fresh water and the salinity didn't drop enough at all. Can I just take out some salt water and keep it in a bucket until I need it so I don't waste my salt, and just add fresh water till the salinity is correct? Thanks!
55g Community
75g. Reef tank (cycling)
135g. Needlenose gar, tiretrack eel tank
Agent Smith
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.04.15(Thu)17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

water changes are realy to only effective way to lower salt content. I don't think it would be a good idea to "reuse" salt as it will have numerous impuritys in it.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.05.05(Wed)6:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would take out some of the salt water and some fresh that should drop it. What are you using to test your salinity tester wise? If its a swing arm you may have to take someting and tap the arm like a plastic knife sometimes bubbles will stick to it and screw up the reading also rinse in fresh water before use because salt will build up on the plastic.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: