Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Heaters
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HermeJ
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.04.15(Thu)8:42    Post subject: Heaters Reply with quote

So I had decided to go with two slightly underpowered heaters in my 55g tank - 2 150W submersibles. Yet it seems I'm having trouble keeping a constant temperature. It might be alright for a day, but then the next day it's something different. Should I switch to just one 250-300W heater? Will that keep it more constant?
Chris A
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.04.15(Thu)12:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most important question is what kind of thermostat do the heaters have? If they have bi-metalic strips as the thermostat then there is going to be a temp variation simply because of the technology. Most heaters that have a digital thermostat garentee +/- 1-3 degrees. Which leads to the next question, How much of a temp variation are you experiencing?

I always like to recommend two heaters over one because if one fails you have a back up untill you can get a new one. it also creates more even heat distribution with two because they should be spread out. They should also be in a place where they get at least alittle water flow, again to spread out the heated water.

Chris
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: