Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
aahhhh!!dark pond water driving me crazy (long post)
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waldo
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.04.14(Wed)8:34    Post subject: aahhhh!!dark pond water driving me crazy (long post) Reply with quote

I have a 300 gal koi pond with 4 medium and 2 small koi in it.I have 4 water lilies,pickrel bush,and a corkscrew rush,as soon as its a little warmer I will add water hyacinth,hornwort,duckweed,faerie moss and anachris.I use a 300 gal per hr pump to run a home-made filter that uses large lava rocks as a bio medium.I will be doing a major spring cleaning this weekend and repotting all my lilies.Now the problem I have is about a week after I clean, the water gets dark like tea,its not green from algae but brown.I've tried chemicals,charcol in the filter,weekly water changes,more plants,less fish,nothing helps.Anyone have Ideas on what is causing this??I had a thought that it might be caused from the soil I use on my lilies so I will be swiching to a very heavy gray clay soil and better pots to help contain the soil.(my great yellow koi shark loves to flip my planters overs LOL) Laughing
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2004.04.15(Thu)16:14    Post subject: Look up Reply with quote

Are you getting any rain that has run over oak or cypress leaves? That gives you tannins that stain the water tea color. Tannins are humic acids and they soften the water, not that rain water needs softening but presumably the pond water might be able to be softened.
waldo
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.04.22(Thu)10:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only rain runoff is through the grass and clover.once in a while a few needle from a larch tree gets in the water but I always take them out right away.
ipchay61
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.04.22(Thu)11:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the water stained or is it cloudy. Brown (tea colored) water is typical of tannins in the water. Cloudy will be something else. Mine have been a cloudy brown color for the past two months but I'm attributing this to the cycling of the ponds and some of it to pollen falling in the water. It's starting to clear up nicely now. I'm going with nothing but native plants and fish in my ponds.

Chip in SC
Orion
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.05.16(Sun)20:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this exact problem in my 250 gallon. I had tried all sorts of chemicals and junk like that. (and I hate using chemicals, I prefer to let nature do it.)
well finally fed up with the whole thing I let the pond be. Until I went hiking about a week ago. I was walking along a small creek and noticed that the water was brown and gross looking. I could not see the bottom even though the creek was only a few inches deep. As I continued my walk I came to a pond, that the creek fed, and the water in the pond was crystal clear. Looking at the inlet point I notice a few dozen native iris growing in the shallow water. As the water ran through the Iris it became clear. I'm not sure how, though I do know Iris are small ammonia and nitirate vaccums. Well the next day I took five Iris from my front yard and placed them in my stream using only small gravel as a media, and in less than atwo days the water was beginning to clear up and is getting clearer each day. I am really happy I was able to go back to nature. Try adding some iris to the lava rock filter. maybe that will help out.
Caseman
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.09.04(Sat)21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Waldo. I have a 500 gallon pond and was having the same problem. A friend told me about a product called Phos-X. I tried a couple of bags of Phos-X in my homemade biofilter and two weeks later the water was crystal clear. Great product worth a try! Removes excess phosphate from the water which gives it that tea color.
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.09.05(Sun)3:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've added soil to your pond it probably is then tannins from there leaching out. I would change the soil to that clay type you mentioned and try some more carbon in your filter to see if it can take it all out.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: