Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Kole Tang-Behavior<Help>
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peeples_tang
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.03.15(Sat)9:30    Post subject: Kole Tang-Behavior<Help> Reply with quote

Hi folks, I have a general behavior question about the Kole Tang. My "lady" looks to have taken something into her sweet lips and it will not come out. IS this possible? Secondly, have Tangs been know to harm themselves on Coral or Live Rock? Near the tail fin it looks as though "me lady" opened herself against some rock. She used to hang out in her hiding spot under the rocks and nip at rocks all the time, now she is erractically swimming in the corner and looking at me, then abruptly doing spins....like she is trying to catch her tail.....

Any advise, suggestions, and/or your infinite wisdom??? Thanks a bunch!
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.03.15(Sat)11:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it look like a cut or a sore from infection? The lips also make me think infection or disease.

Is there anybody else in the tank that could beat him up?

PostPosted: 2003.03.16(Sun)6:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback.

She seems to be doing a little better. The cut near the tail fin I have been told is a razor sharp defensive quality that Tangs possess.

She is the queen in her domain so I don't think she is being attacked by others. I have a small Naso, two clowns, 2 Cromis, and two convict Damsels. All getting along very well.

The only other thing it may be is a possible parasitic infection that the "eye" can not detect. Any ideas on what to do here? I am anti-chemical, as I prefer el natural aquaria. Thanks for your reponse.

rpjr
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.03.16(Sun)9:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only non-chemical remedy I know of is Garlic. A little pure garlic extract mixed with her food has cured ick for me. She doesn't appear to have ick so I'm not usre it would have any effect. Sorry I can't be of more help. Crying or Very sad
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.03.17(Mon)7:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you take a good look at the skinniest part of the tail in this pic you can see what looks like a cut my tang has it also

http://www.reefcorner.com/SpecimenSheets/kole_tang.htm I know as far as being sharp some species have a very sharp back fin

mine flips around in the sand from time to time and I think someting is wrong but then hes OK. the other day I did see the tang ram right into the rock and it left a mark on his face they are sort of clutzy. or is there any fish your tang may chase in the tank? my kole and lawnmower don't get along the best they havent hurt each other but do give chase and when the lawnmower flies in the rock the kole will hit the rock that way also and if he gets a scratch he wil rub against the rock. but after a few minites goes back to feeding and being the hog of the tank again
Pandora
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.03.17(Mon)19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

peeples, check out karlas' pictures, they are nice and will show you what a healthy tang should look like. As both of you have mentioned, there is that blade that all tangs have which you may be mistaking for a slit; the only thing I would worry about is if this area is inflamed or red. That is a sign of infection; if it looks like her's does in the photo, that is just a healthy tang.

The lips are a little more worrisome. Sometimes fish either scratch themselves inadvertantly or eat something that gets stuck on the lips, and this could lead to a secondary infection if the wound doesn't heal properly.

PS: have your tangs ever fought? Tangs are known both for their territoriality (they can be a hard to match), but occasionally differently shaped tangs (like your naso, which is rounder) can be matched peacefully.

http://www.fishpalace.org/
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.03.20(Thu)7:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to show off heres a pic of my kole I love it I think its such a cool fish

http://www.aquahobby.com/marine/koletang.html

as far as tangs its not only the shape but if tangs are added into a tank out of the same family there can be a territory problem. what size is your tank by the way? heres a link of the family the kole is in the naso is also in that list

http://www.uog.edu/marinelab/fish/families_html/acanthuridae.html
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: