Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reefs
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.03.14(Fri)16:16    Post subject: Skunk Cleaner Shrimp Reply with quote

HAS ANYONE EVER HEARD OF ONE OF THESE SHRIMP GIVING BIRTH IN A REEF TANK ? IF SO HOW OFFEN DOES IT HAPPEN?
THANKS FOR ANY INFO ..
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.03.14(Fri)18:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, but very rarely in the home aquarium. How long did you own them? If its been less than a months or two, in all probability you purchased one that was already pregnant.

Are any still alive? I know most fall victim to the filter.
Pineapple House
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.03.14(Fri)18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoS wrote:
yes, but very rarely in the home aquarium.

I have to disagree with that statement.

Mine give birth every month or so, if not sooner. I usually end up seeing hundreds of very small Skunk Cleaners, or rarely Blood Shrimp, floating around my tank. They're usually the size of a pin-head. It is actually not uncommon to see this from Cleaner shrimp.

Unfortunatly,
They are very difficult to raise sucessfully in captivity. I wouldn't recommend it. Best let nature take its coarse. Consider it "free food." Wink

Graham
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.03.15(Sat)11:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your right pineapple house I should have worded it differantly. They do spawn but the fry very rarely survive in the home aquaria. Mostly do to getting sucked into the filter or protien skimmer.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.03.17(Mon)7:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with pineapple house these shrimp reproduce very easily in the aquarium. and each shrimp you have will carry eggs if you have 2,3 or 10 each one will carry them. I read an article on this and every time one molts it will fertilize any other cleaner shrimp in the tank. this is actually good for the tank this becomes a natural food for the fish and any filterfeeder inverts you have in the tank. they usually hatch out at night also

in my tank I can usually tell when they hatch because in the middle of the night I will see most of my fish out in a feeding frenzy I think my bangaii cardinal, scooter and mandarine take most advantage of this. though I've even seen the chromises and tang out also
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: