Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
32g saltwater GOOD NEWS!
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.14(Fri)12:46    Post subject: 32g saltwater GOOD NEWS! Reply with quote

Remember when lots of my fish died! well its all over and everyones back to normal! I took a sample of the algae to my not so local saltwater only pet store. he said it was hair algae and that it would absorb a lot of oxygen at night. And thats why the fish were found dead in the morning. I took the rocks out and cleanded them without harming the mushroom corals or polyps. I put them back in and a week later I got 10 south american hermits that are the only thing that will eat hair algae in its young form. I also got three snails thier name starts with n and there really small and they are burrowers and they eat algae and left over food. I am going to add a protien skimmer and upgrade the lighting when I get the founds and I am taking the babysitter coarse to earn more too!
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.03.15(Sat)11:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nerite Snails? The burrow nicely but they aren't the best cleaners I've seen. I've got 7 or 8 of them in my 55. IF you've got Hair Algae problems. My Astrean mowed it down or a nudibranch(seaslug) would work well too. Tangs are the ultimate hair algae vacuums but your tank is a little small for one.

Great to hear you tank is doing OK Smile
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.16(Sun)18:12    Post subject: refugium Reply with quote

the snails were nassuras snails or somthing like that. I unfortuneatly can't fit a protien skimmer on my tank I just don't have any room. though I do have room to add a refugium. I plan on using a 25g and fill it up half way(12.5g) and putting an inch of substrate, 40watts of no lighting, a 50watt heater. I am going to get the water up to the refugium using a 175g/h power head and then it would go back to the tank through a 2" diameter hole in the side of the tank.(which I will be getting cut) it will then flow down back into the tank! in the refugium will be magroves and various species of marine plant life. So what do you think of my plan!
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.03.17(Mon)7:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you got nassarious snails they are not alge eaters they are more of a scavagener they pick up leftover food, waste, or if someting dies they will get on it right away and help clean it up. they do burrow int he sand and help mix it up they are very good in an aquarium. I had good luck with trochus snails when I had the hair alge these things would go throug it and leave a big trail. also if they get flipped upside down the can right themselves up. adding your refugium would be a good idea and adding the macros should help with the hair alge. different types of plants will actually compete for the same food and macros alges will outcompete the bad alges
ezramore
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.01.14(Fri)16:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bicolor blenny in mine and he does an excelent job of eating most of the hair algae in my tank and he is a lot of fun to watch darting from rock to rock.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.14(Fri)17:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually I don't have the 32g any more well I do but its a freshwater in australia instead of canada. my salty is now a 7.5g nano cube. man could I have used that info like 1 and a half years ago. all was fixed though I got a prism skimmer worked well no hair algae.

cheers

andrew
2 winged demons
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: