Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Mechanized water changes
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Kapenta Kid
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.04.07(Wed)6:52    Post subject: Mechanized water changes Reply with quote

Further to my Ideal Water Change Regime thread, I thought of making small but frequent changes semi-automatically. Put a spare power head in the tank and pump out 10-15% of the water daily--straight out the window into the yard. Cover the gravel-vaccing function of siphoning by using one of those battery-operated tank vacuum cleaners.
Thus you would effectively be changing your water 100% over a weekly cycle.
Anyone have any thoughts?
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.05.05(Wed)5:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be way to much of a change you would throw your tank into a cycle again. You should never do more then a 25% change at one time but every time you do a change you need to give the tank a chance to regain its bacteria. If you want to do small water changes thats fine but make it once a week like 5-10% not every day. With a change everyday the bacteria won't have time to recoup and you can loose evertthing.
The Kapenta Kid
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.07.01(Thu)15:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

karlas wrote:
That would be way to much of a change you would throw your tank into a cycle again. You should never do more then a 25% change at one time but every time you do a change you need to give the tank a chance to regain its bacteria. If you want to do small water changes thats fine but make it once a week like 5-10% not every day. With a change everyday the bacteria won't have time to recoup and you can loose evertthing.

Sorry, I have been away for some time and did not notice your reply. Is this correct. Can a daily 10% water change really cause a mature tank to recycle?
I find this hard to believe but I'd like to hear other opinions.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.07.01(Thu)16:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen that happen considering most of the bacteria colonies are all over the gravel and filter media and not really in the water column. When I kept discus I changed the water 10-15% every other day and never had problems.
The Kapenta Kid
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.07.02(Fri)9:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Huntress. Karlas' comments that you should never do a water change of more than 25% and that 5 to 10% a week is OK seem at variance with everything else I read here or elsewhere. I know that Discus keepers must maintain massive water change regimes.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: