Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Filter for 55g goldfish tank
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ripperx
Members

PostPosted: 2004.04.05(Mon)0:35    Post subject: Filter for 55g goldfish tank Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have a 55g tank I use only for big comet goldfish. Right now I only have a Aquaclear 200 and need to get a new one. Should I get the aquaclear 300 or 500? The price difference on those for me is only $10. Also is only the aquaclear 500 good enough for this size tank with goldfish? On a side note, what's the most amount of koi's I can keep in a 55? I'm thinking about getting a koi, but just want to know if it's possible.
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.04.05(Mon)8:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

With goldfish, I would always use more filtration as long as you can minimize water current.

Koi can not be kept in a 55 gallon permanently. If you hsve a large koi pond, it is fun to keep the baby koi inside for a few months until the grow a bit. You could remove the comet and add 3 fancy goldfish, or stick with the comet, wakin, and other single tailed critters.
ACE
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.04.06(Tue)23:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ripperx ,

The aquaclear 500 is adequate enough to filter your 55 gallon tank.I had koi in a tank your size , and they did well before I transfered them into larger tanks.Quantity wise , you could fit a few koi( 3-6 medium sized ).With proper filtration and feeding they will do fine.Remember koi need room to swim , so plants , rocks , etc should be kept to a min.These guys will grow on you fairly quickly.As for gold fish , it depends on what body style the fish is Fantail , Comets , lionheads etc ... Slow or fast moving ? With personal experience , I've kept most kinds of goldfish from tanks ranging from 20-55 gallons at small numbers and all of them did well.Filtration is the key to keeping these guys healthy along with a proper diet !

Loukas

PS : Aquaclear motors from 150-500 are fairly priced and recommended for any tank.If you have a deal on one , go for it !
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: