Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Live Rock: Curing
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wormo3188
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.04.01(Thu)23:59    Post subject: Live Rock: Curing Reply with quote

I just ordered a case of Live Rock and I am wondering how I should go about curing it? Or rather, cleaning it before I put it in the tank to make sure I get any of the bad critters off of the rock, and then put it into my tank and cure it. I have heard that you can put it in a 3x saline solution and that should do the trick and cause everything to "jump" off of the rock and into, say a 5g bucket. But then how would I know what the good stuff is that I would want to keep in my tank and put back on later? Any help would be great, thanks.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.05.05(Wed)6:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can dip your rock quick to try to get any bad stuff out but if you leave it in you can kill all your good stuff. I wouldnt advise it. Is your tank alredy cycled? If not you can use your uncured live rock to cycle your tank. If your tank is cycled you will need to do it seperatly maby in a big plastic container or bucket. You would use a powerhead, maby a heater put your uncured in and let it cycle then when ammonia and nitrite are gone add to the main tank. As far as knowing whats on your rock it may take a long time or you may never know. I've had my lr almost 3 years now and am still finding things.

there can be so many things you will never describe them all but some sites may help you find your hitchikers

http://www.reefs.org/hhfaq/
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: