Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Laguna 5
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
monkey5150
Members

PostPosted: 2004.03.26(Fri)11:59    Post subject: Laguna 5 Reply with quote

I had purchased a Laguna 5 multi-purpose pump and they state that it can be used for fresh or salt water systems. I was thinking about using for my new sump filter,,, they said 1283 gph, going 4 feet its about 700 gph.
ID: 1 1/4"
OD: 1"

Does anyone have experience or advice on the pump?
Scott

Looking to upgarde my 75 gal reef sump!
29 gal Chaulerpa tank
20 gal fresh
Chris A
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.04.05(Mon)14:02    Post subject: eeer.... Reply with quote

If I had a dime for every time I've replaced the impeller of unclogged a laguna pump, I sure wouldn't be working at Tim Hortons. I know Hagen has been working on new designs for the last few years for their laguna line but I still wouldn't trust one of my tanks with one. They claim to be energy efficient and they are at 0 head. They can't handle head pressure very well and thier energy consumption goes up exponentialy with higher head pressure. Add to that the facts that the pre filter it comes with is inadaquet at best and could burn out the pump at worst, there is only hose adaptors (no pipe threads) and you have a combination that hade me turning customers to another line of pumps on a regular basis when I worked at a LFS.

If you can I would take it back and get a better pump (external Little Giant, Life gard, Mag drive ect). You might pay more but is it worth risking your stock?

Chris
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: