Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Newbie to saltwater!!! Need help with set up and FISH
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UMdmd
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.03.23(Tue)15:54    Post subject: Newbie to saltwater!!! Need help with set up and FISH Reply with quote

I have a 30 gallon tank and I want to convert it to saltwater duty. Do you guys think it is worth it or should I get 50 gallon tank? What do I need to buy? I know I need a wet/dry but what kind? I saw a ehiem wet/dry is that any good. It seems attractive b/c its all in one package. What else will I need besides the wet/dry. Any help to this newbie would be greatly Appreciated.

Last edited by UMdmd on 2004.03.23(Tue)18:04; edited 1 time in total
UMdmd
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.03.23(Tue)18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping to put some kind of eel in the tank. Maybe a snowflake. Any body got any suggestions on a cool eel? and Fish that will be OK with the eel.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.03.25(Thu)8:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do lots of reading before starting a marine tank. Also do your research on eels. Snowflakes are one of the easiest but you need a sealed tight top on the tank. Eels are master escape artist and will get out of any spot they can find eventhe areas you might not think of.

If you can go with the 50 gall you would be better off the bigger the better to start.

I never used a ehime but they are pretty popular in the hobby and safe for saltwater. But there are many types of filtration.
Its best to read up 0n it and see whats available for what you want to spend.
about filters and filtration set ups

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/filtration/index.htm

If you stay fish only you can go with standard lighting that comes with the tank. With corals you will need to upgrade lighting. Get test kits Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, alkalinity, salinity tester. There are many others out there but those are the main and most important ones. Powerheads, heater, thermometer, skimmer (most perfer one, some go skimmerless). Sand and live rock.

thats all I can think of at the moment but heres a good beginner site that has lots of info on

http://www.reefcorner.com/reef%20keeping_101.htm
UMdmd
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.03.31(Wed)0:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to use a canister filter in a saltwater tank. If so what else will I need to add. A protein skimmer?
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.05.05(Wed)6:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard of people using canister filters with no problem, a protein skimmer is very helpful. Also you will need circulation with powerheads. If your staying fish only you can go with standard lighting if you go coral then you will need to upgrade. Also are you planning on lr and ls?
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: