Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Old topic revisted, "Nemo" tanks.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.03.23(Tue)9:08    Post subject: Old topic revisted, "Nemo" tanks. Reply with quote

I had someone asking if the fish in the "Nemo tank" (dentist office) were compatible and what size tank would be good for that group. I was thinking at least a 75-90 because of the puffer. I don't know much about salt fish. What are the thoughts on this?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Kideafish
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.03.25(Thu)12:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a MBU Puffer and he is thriving - I had him on 24th dec 2003 and over the last 2.5 months he has grown from 5 inches to 8 inches -

He is in freshwater and eats 3 times a day due to the amount of energy he uses swimming around constantly usin g his little fins to keep his big body floating !

he is at the moment in a 40 gal four foot tank but over the next couple of months will be going in an 8 footer .

he can evetually grow to about 36 inches but I do no think they have ever reached this in an aquarium and certainly havent been captive bred.
He will grow between 21-30 inches -
An LFS I know has a MBU 22 inches long but oly eats twice a week !!

Ours eats cockles in the shells and tears them apart aswell as krill, silverside etc.

He has never puffed up as this is caused by stress and would never stress him just to see him puff up !

Yeh , he needs a big tank and bigger as he gates bigger !!

HAS anyone else got a MBU (Tetraodon) Giant Puffer ??

Loving my waterbabies ! Are you ?
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2004.03.25(Thu)15:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kidea, I don't think the puffer in "Nemo" was freshwater.

Irons, as for tank size, I'm not sure. The movie tank wasn't exactly stocked with the best animals. Very Happy I mean, a Moorish Idol in a tank with the aggressive gamma (the yellow and purple fish)? That can't be safe!

Not to mention the puffer would have long ago made a snack from the shrimp...and Moorish Idols tend to die pretty soon after they are introduced to captivity.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kideafish
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.03.27(Sat)4:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taratron I am aware of this I was having a discussion about puffers in general -

They are all marine fish so they would not be freshwater

Great film though I loved it !!

Loving my waterbabies ! Are you ?
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.05.05(Wed)6:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were definitly not compatable and a lot larger tank would be needed. Just for the morish idol alone you would need at least 125 gallon for that one and its defintly not a beginner fish.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: