Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Skimmer
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wormo3188
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.03.18(Thu)15:05    Post subject: Skimmer Reply with quote

I have been debating on getting a skimmer before I start cycling my tank and then adding fish, my LFS says that I do not need a skimmer yet but will need a UV filter, this is contrary to what I had thought, thinking that a skimmer would be more necessary from the start rather than UV sterylizer. If this is case, should I get the skimmer before I order live rock? or can I get it in the future without any problems?

If I do get it now I am willing to spend no more than $200 (Its a 72g tank)
So I am wondering what you guys would recommend? How efficient is the RedSea line? Both in-sump and HOB.

Another question, If I were to get the prism skimmers would the regular one cover a 72g tank, or should I upgrade to the Deluxe one? The regular is rated up to 90g.

And are there any other skimmers you would reccomend in this price range?
cailan
Members

PostPosted: 2004.03.18(Thu)17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

to answer your first skimmer question, you don't need one right away. I don't have my saltwater tank set up yet, but my boyfriend has had his set up since around christmas time. he started out with just a wet dry filteration on his 55 gallon. he has about 7 or 8 fish, 2 starfish and 6 snails and hasn't had any problems so far. he is planning on getting a skimmer pretty soon though. so to answer your question, you can wait on the skimmer for a while, just don't overstock your tank in the mean time. I know that I'm not going to do the uv sterylizer in my tank b/c I plan on getting coral.
icp
Members

PostPosted: 2004.03.19(Fri)2:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have set up a few salt water tanks all that I had without a skimmer writhen the first month failed miserably. But the thing about the UV you do not even need one but it is better to have one.

hear is a site to get bolth skimmer an uv fore under 200$
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Shop.cfm?Ne=4&N=2004

UV = http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4534&Ne=40000&R=7913&Nao=18&N=2004+22789

SKIMMER = http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4400&Ne=40000&R=7667&N=2004+22782
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.03.25(Thu)7:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I set mine up without a skimmer and added it a long time afterwards. I would say cycle it without a skimmer since your gettin all the nasty stuff out of the way anyway.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: