Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
breed in captivity?
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: 2003.03.12(Wed)13:07    Post subject: breed in captivity? Reply with quote

Just a quick question, I have been keeping freshwater fish for some time now, but I'm amazed at the color and style of saltwater fish and I am thinking of going saltwater. My only question is there any kind of salt water fish that is not nabbed right from the ocean? (do they breed in captivity, not nessacary in a hobbyists tank just in general) I know this may seem stupid Rolling Eyes but I'm just curious...Thanks.
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.03.12(Wed)13:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some captive bred salt water fish... commonly available are clown fish.

If you really want captive bred salt water fish you really should join your local Aquarium clubs and get in touch with some hobbyists. If you find one in your local area you can often persuade someone to help you setup and sell you something they have managed to breed.
(Side note for the self serving among us: often fish nuts are so happy to talk about their tanks/ share their knowledge etc that they will give you things for free, guide you, heck I've even ended up at people's house cleaning tanks for them... I am such a sucker!)
Discus Man is gone... I remain... #6... I am not a number I am a free man!
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.03.13(Thu)7:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are working on several types of fish to be tank bred yes clowns are a biggie. also several gobies, cardinals, chromises
heres a link to ora farms they do not sell to single reefkeepers but sell to fish stores. the one fs I go to orders from these guys as her main supplier

http://www.orafarm.com/species.html

theres many more places gettin into farm raised fish also including snails, clams, shrimp, conchs, and crabs
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.03.15(Sat)11:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

A recent big breakthrough is the spawning of a Flame Angelfish in captivity. Hopefully soon(in a few years) all the angels will be captive raised.

The main problem with Captive breeding of most reef fish is size. You need big tanks to simulate there breeding enviroment and social Hierarchy.
Pandora
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.03.17(Mon)18:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

!, it's not a dumb question at all. This is a topic of great interest to marine aquarium owners nowadays, especially now that the majority are more environmentally conscious and know that many of the animals we get (especially corals and rarer fish/other inverts) are unreplenishable/endangered. Most of the more concientious hobbyists try to get captive bred whenever possible, and more and more nowadays, new species are becoming readily available captive-bred. Almost all clowns, damsels and cardinalfish are nowadays bred, and a large number of gobies are being added to that group; in addition, there are farms for eels, seahorses, and more exotic species.

http://www.fishpalace.org/
The Old Salt

PostPosted: 2003.04.01(Tue)0:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add Comets to the list.
( Calloplesiops altivelis )
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.04.06(Sun)5:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention more and more corals are becoming tank raised. I took notice of a lot of sites advertising 3rd, 4th, 5th generation corals and so on.
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: