Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Filter Opinions
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HermeJ
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.03.16(Tue)13:55    Post subject: Filter Opinions Reply with quote

Due to financial restraints in setting up my tank, I'm planning on going with a live rock/live sand bed substrate, along with a protein skimmer, a powerhead, and a good power filter for a 55 gallon fish only.

I'm tossed up between the AquaClear 300 and the Emperor 400. What's everyones thoughts? I've read pros and cons about both.
monkey5150
Members

PostPosted: 2004.03.22(Mon)20:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to upgrade my filter system too and boy can it get your head spinning!! Every LFS has their own preference. I have a buddy who swares by the natural approach but I have never had good results, But I have a black thumb and the touch of death. Though I am a skilter fan myself.

Good luck
scott
29 gal Chaulerpa tank
20 gal fresh
Agent Smith
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.03.22(Mon)22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

live rock, a DSB, and maby a skimmer will provide enough filtration for most marine systems. still, if you want bigger fish an extra mechanical filter can be very helpful.

since the rock and sand will provide plenty of biological, you will probably want more on mechanical, so id go w/ the aquaclear

what skimmer are you planing on useing?
monkey5150
Members

PostPosted: 2004.03.23(Tue)7:07    Post subject: I hate filteration Reply with quote

I'm kicking myself I just sold my ETS skimmer because I went to a smaller system. I was thinking of going with a Turbo style HOT or depending on the filter, go with maybe a nice larger in sump one.
I've only been at this 3 years and normal jump in way too fast So this time I'm trying to approach it a bit slower. I do have close to a hundred pounds of live rock with jets all around and within but it never really seems to work for me!!!
Oh Excuse my "ignens" but what is a DSB? I have seen plenty of wet/drys on ebay does anyone have a preferable system theyve used?

Scott Laughing
29 gal Chaulerpa tank
20 gal fresh
monkey5150
Members

PostPosted: 2004.03.23(Tue)7:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSB = Deep sand bed?
29 gal Chaulerpa tank
20 gal fresh
Agent Smith
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.03.23(Tue)20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep thats it. because they creat anoxic pockets, anarobic bacteria, which are often denitrifing (reducing nitrAte into nitrogen gas) can live. they origanaly were origanaly started by jaubert at the monaco aquarium in the 70's. he used a deep bed of sand over a plate that kept a pocket of anoxic water underneath. this is called a plenum. now, we know that even that insant nesacry as realy, the top 2.5 inchs are were the filtration takes place. one of the probablems of any deepsubstrate is the possiblity of pockets of hydogen sufide forming. however, this is preaty easy to deal with: live sand and live rock will introduce a large amount of small cirters that stir through the substrate keeping those pockets from forming.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.03.25(Thu)8:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a combo of the lr, sand bed, and an emporer. I like the emporers and they work very well for the price
monkey5150
Members

PostPosted: 2004.03.25(Thu)12:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice skimmer!!!!
Now to find a nice sump.. Any favorites???? I'm realy having a tough time looking at the oceanic model 1,2+3s as they look like plain old 10,20, and 30 gallon fish tanks..

Maybe I shoudl just convert a wet/dry!!!
Scott
29 gal Chaulerpa tank
20 gal fresh
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: