Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
New saltwater tank live Rock
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mickeyrk
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.03.11(Tue)23:35    Post subject: New saltwater tank live Rock Reply with quote

Two weeks ago I converted my 45 tal into a saltwater tank. The tank is being set up for FOWLR. At first this was only to be fish only, but on some advice I was told to add some live rock to help with the cycle. I added four pounds of live rock which consited of a couple of nice size live rocks and some dead coral pcs that were kept with the live rock at the shop. I guess you can call this live dead coral pcs. my question is this. my tank is not set up for live corals or sponges or anything that needs intense lighting. I'm only running 35 watts of light that come from one marine glo and one power glo. The tank is currently cycling. Today I noticed " life forms' growing out of the coral pcs. They look like small baby corals. they are red and look like little finger corals. The other parts of live rock are doing the same with developing color and other little life forms on them. What will happen to these? will they soon die? The shop keeps it live rocks in a large tank that gets no light except the glow of the other tanks. Is the little light they get from my lights causing growth?
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.03.12(Wed)10:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be. Trunciates, corals, and some sponges will survive the transfer. I wouldn't worry about them. Your lighting is under a watt a gallon and won't support 99% of corals. If they grow great, if they don't they won't cause problems.

So they look like little tubes with mouths? or are they solid nerf(fuzzy soft) like material?
mickeyrk
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.03.12(Wed)23:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am no expert on corals that is why I'm not going to do them. From my limited knowlege they look like a baby leather coral. They have a small trunk and almost look like a tiny tree with branches. the other things look like puple and green algae.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.03.13(Thu)7:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

your hitchhikers could be anything there are soooo many of them heres some pages you can check out see if your critters are on there. most people have critters they never id you never know

pick the select a link to many different hitchhikers

http://www.reefs.org/hhfaq/pages/main_pages/faq_algae.htm
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: