Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
New Pond.. Can Anyone Reccomend Some Fish?!
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
newyorkdoll
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.03.22(Mon)17:41    Post subject: New Pond.. Can Anyone Reccomend Some Fish?! Reply with quote

hey, we just installed a tiny pond in our backyard. I know NOTHING about ponds but I do have a book. I live in las vegas so it gets pretty hot here in the summer, the pond is surrounded by some leafy sun-loving plants so they will grow over it and provide shade to keep the water cool in the summer. the pond itself is about 1.5 - 2 feet deep, but is very narrow. probably 1 foot wide and 3 feet long, kidney bean shaped. it has a water fall flowing into it from a smaller, shallower, pond with more surface area.

the larger, lower pond holds about 40 gallons of water, and we are going to cover the bottom of both ponds with pond stones, and planting them with probably duck weed (for shade for the fish, and to reduce algage) as well as a hardly lily of some sort for visual appeal.

I was thinking about throwing in some comets in the pond, but I know they get quite large and am afraid they would not be cmfortable in their home. the pond is quite small so I know koi are out of the question (unless there is some type of miniature koi lol)

so far all I can think of to put in there is an apple snail. how would he do in those conditions?

I would really like a fish of some sort. what about some feeder fish just to see how they do? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. please let me know if you have any additional quesitons baout my pond! thanks!!
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.03.25(Thu)23:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

A reccomendation would be the rosy red minnow, often sold as feeder fish at pet stores. These get to about 2 inches, and sport a nice pinkish yellow color. Interesting breeding behavior and very prolific. Provide some pieces of slate or other low overhangs(caves) for spawning. More active thne goldfish, they should put some liveliness into your little pond.
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2004.03.25(Thu)23:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a feeder fish, but I'd spring for paradisefish. Smile Very brightly colored guys!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
zero0
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.04.01(Thu)22:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

definelatley mosquito fish! boy do they help out a lot
FantailFishyUK
Members

PostPosted: 2004.04.12(Mon)3:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakin are beautiful fish, they look like comets in body but have a twin tail like fancy goldies, great pond fish. for 40 gallons you could put 2 or 3 wakin in, maybe 4 with very good filtration:

deleted
Members

PostPosted: 2004.04.27(Tue)22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a smaller pond with goldfish and a larger pond wiht goldfish and misquito fish.
They do GREAT! goldfish seem to grow to fit the sze of their home. WE put around 10 small feeder fish(goldfish) in my big pond and in a summer I had atleast 150 good size goldfish. In my small pond we have around 20 medium size goldfish. They are very hardy and look great!
The temperature should be no problem because I live in California and it gets VERY hot here, doesn't seem to bother my fish if they have sopme shade or a rock hideout.
ACE
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.04.30(Fri)20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could go with three to four koi ranging in size from 3-5 inches . Koi are a very colourful addition to any pond small or large.Just remember to provide them with a good diet , provide some shade from the sun and any other predators , and proper filtration.

ACE
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: