Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Cycling: How to?
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wormo3188
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.03.13(Sat)21:56    Post subject: Cycling: How to? Reply with quote

OK, I have my tank set up, salt put in, 1.022. And I am wondering how I should cycle it, I have heard of 3 different options already

1: My LFS: They say to put in a "cycling fish" such as a trigger or a grouper, yet I do not want to do this because of a) the ammonia spikes will probably kill the fish and b) I don't want these fish in my tank if they do survive and c) that will drop me $50 in the hole for a dead fish

2: Online Forums: Use those cooked cocktail shrimp to provide waste to be converted thus getting all the nescessary cycling without killing anything. I like this idea Laughing

3: Live Rock: I have heard that if you put in partially cured live rock into the aquarium you will get a "die off" period before it is fulling cured and that should be enough to cause the initial ammonia spike to start the cycling.

4: Just throw a whole bunch of fish in, overstock the tank, and then have everything die

So I am wondering, what is the best way in which to cycle this tank, and if I were to get live rock for it before there are any fish in the tank, can I use that to cycle the tank?
Max
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.03.14(Sun)0:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to have live rock in the tank any way I would go ahead and use un cured live rock its cheaper than cured and will cycle the tank for you. If you were not planning on having live rock I would go with the shrimp method. I don't understand why they would tell you to cycle the tank with an expensive fish and not just some Damsels not that I agree with that method anyway.
wormo3188
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.03.14(Sun)9:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason why they would want me to cycle with an expensive fish is because instead of buying a $10 damsel, I'd be giving them $50 for a trigger or something, basicly I think they are just trying to make money
MARKY MARK
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.03.14(Sun)16:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

MY FIRST TANK IS A MATURED EX FRESHWATER, I HAVE CLEANED THE FILTERS WITH MATURE WATER, I HAVE MADE UP UP MY SALT WATER AND HAVE THE CORRECT SALINE GRAVITY.. DO I NEED TO START THE CYCLE AGAIN OR DOES THE BACTERIA IN THE FILTERS LIVE WITH THE CHANGE TO SALT ,,,
wormo3188
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.03.14(Sun)17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

FIRST OF ALL, TYPE IN CAPS!!! ITS REALLY REALLY ANNOYING!!! And second of all, I think that you are going to have to re-cycle the tank due to the fact that there is probably a difference between the bacteria that is found in fresh water as opposed to salt water.
MARKY MARK
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.03.15(Mon)1:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for typing, cheers for the info
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.03.25(Thu)7:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

wormo
use the uncured lr if your going that route, or the shrimp they are the best 2 ways to do it. Do not use the fish they reccomended they will surely die and neither is a good beginner fish.

marky mark
the bacteria is different between the fresh and the saltwater you will have to recyle the tank from scratch
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: