Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Noobie help with FOLR
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
groovay
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.03.13(Sat)4:08    Post subject: Noobie help with FOLR Reply with quote

I've had tropical fishes for around 3 years now but never vertured onto the saltwater parts, this is my first project, and its getting to be very expensive.

What I have so far:
20 gallons(I know small for an amaeture but I picked it because my LFS said it would be OK for a beginer)
flourecent light(no shure how many wats)
UGF came with tank
power head
aqual clear 200
Crush coral and some big chucks of substrate which look also like dead coral

I first cycled it for 2 weeks with no fishes, then went back to ask my LFS if it was OK to add fishes, he said damsel, so I left with 2 damsel to continue my cycle.

Its 2 weeks since I got my 2 yellow talk blue damsel and they seem to be doing good/great I guess. algae seem to be forming but its brown. LFS it was OK just add some snails and hermit crabs, so I left the store with snails and hermit crab.

I was gonna pick up live rock piece from my LFS but they were still decontaminating it and won't get it for another 3 weeks. Nitrite was at a 0.3-0.8 reading yesterday so I change the water now it;s seem to be undetectable.

My gaol is to return the damsel and get only 2 True clown fishes in 2-3 weeks.

Questions:

a) Is at aqua clear 200 and UGF good enough for now until like around 3-4 months when I can afford a skimmer.
b) how often do I do water change and is syphoning waste out using fresh water techni OK or should I just take water out from the surface?
c) When adding new water, how long do I have to wait till the water is safe to be poured into the tank?
groovay
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.03.15(Mon)11:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

pls I really need to know about the filter, I don;t want to go buyigng clowns till I know its good enough for the time being.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.03.25(Thu)7:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually under gravels are not reccomended for salt tanks they are not the best choice. If your sticking with your flouecent light that you got it is probably standard, this is OK for a fish only tank. Some people use crushed coral but you might want to consider changing to sand it works much better.

Have you tested your tank? Get your self test kits you will need them. Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, alkalinity, and salinity. You shouldnt add any fish till your cycel is at 0 for the amm and nitrite. The nitrogen cycle for a salt tank is 10 times more lethal then the cycle of a fresh water tank. I wouldnt add any snails or hermits until your sure they are at 0 also. Also don't do any water changes until the cycle is done, water changes can add to your cycle time. The filter will be OK since your only going with fish.

check out these beginner sites

nitrogen cycle
http://www.epetpals.com/cycle.htm

reef keeping 101
http://www.reefcorner.com/reef%20keeping_101.htm
groovay
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.03.31(Wed)2:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have all the test kits and everything is A.O.K.

Salinity:1.020
pH:8.2-8.5
Ammonium and nitrite: almost undetecable.

tanks now set up for about 2.5 months now, I'm gonna take UGF off, add hermit crab and snails to take out agale problem. Gonna add sand and cured live rocks.

I'm gonna be making my own live rock, with a bit of live rock and a lot of limestone or cement since I heard that they eventually turn into live rock. Is this true? and is it advisable?

I also want to get some Polyp, any advise or suggestions?
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: