Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Live Rock Deal
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wormo3188
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.03.06(Sat)21:24    Post subject: Live Rock Deal Reply with quote

I just went to one my lfs today, and they were selling Fiji Live Rock for $4 a lb. This is nothing high quality here, just some small patches of coraline algae on it, a big patch of white(Is that dead algae?) and basicly it was the equivilant of foundation rock, basicly just big rocks. I wasnt planning on starting off with LR but at this price, I can't really help myself but get my foundation going.

I have an Amiracle Wet Dry filter, the tank is 72g and has no water in it yet (hopefully by the end of the week). Should I get the live rock once I get water in the tank, will it help with the cycling? And do I need to remove the bio-balls from the filter if I do? And lastly, how many lbs should I start out with? Oh, and are there any extra requirements for LR that exceed what I would be getting for a FO tank?
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.03.10(Wed)5:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the lr fully cured? Ask them if it is, if its just been shipped or partially cured it would work well to cycle your tank. At 4$ a pound grab it thats a deal. Most places in my area it goes for 7-12 $ a pound. The white could be corraline but thats part of the tank life you have to let the corraline grow. It turns white when its growing or dying.

I would get a few lbs and use the to cycle the tank maby throw a pice or 2 of peel n eat shrimp in the tank this is the best way to a fishless cycle. After it cycle is done then add more rock especially if its fully cured. For a FO tank it doesn't need any special lighting. The only thing lighting effects is the color of the corraline. With hi light it can be pinks and purples where with lower lighting it may end up being red, burgandy, blue, yellow or green. Also most of the hitchikers on lr come out at night.

As far as the bio balls thats up to you some people like them others don't. That wold depend on the tank if it works don't fix it if you think theres a problem then remove them. Each tank is different and may have a different use for someting that another doesn't.
wormo3188
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.03.13(Sat)21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I went and checked out their live rock, it is really just cultured base rock, nothing spectacular, except for 2 peices, one has a hard coral fragment on it (I assume that it will die because I don't have the requirements for it) and one with like little algae mushrooms growing on it. I may decided to go with one or two big peices just to set up a base and then order some more from an online distributer, maybe some higher quality stuff.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: