Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
how deep
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fishfreek
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.03.06(Sat)15:03    Post subject: how deep Reply with quote

We are constucting a pond it is about 8 X 7. Over here were we live it gets around 105 degrees in the summer and around 50 degrees in the winter. we do get frost but not that much. the area around the pond will keep it about 1/3 shadey. their will also be some plants in the pond providing more shade. I want to keep some KOI so how deep should I make the pond be so the water doesent get too hot in the summer or too cold in the winter?

-----------------DAM!!!!!!!---------------------------
Matt Shandorf
Advisors

PostPosted: 2004.03.06(Sat)16:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd half to make that pretty deep for it to be comfortable for koi, though it would be better if it was longer than if it were deeper. You don't have to worry about you pond freezing, though, which is good. If you're going to stick with those outside dimensions, I would forget koi and make your pond 2 1/2 or 3 feet deep. However, if you really want koi, I would suggest that your pond be at least 12X12 and 3 1/2 feet deep. Then again, 105 degrees in the summer would really stress koi out, since they are naturally cool water fish. Koi don't mind cold temperatures at all, but I would invest in some kind of chiller if the temperature is consistently 105 in the summer.
fishfreek
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.03.06(Sat)20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

if koi arnt a good idea then would some comets be okay?

-----------------DAM!!!!!!!---------------------------
wormo3188
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.03.06(Sat)21:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go with comets, I love them! They are so much prettier than Koi, I have 1 comet in my pond up her in NY, (0-100 degree range) and it has outlasted everything in the tank (I won it at a fair about 7 years ago). The pond wasnt big enough for the koi, so they just jumped out when they got to big, but yeah, go with comets, they get big (nice tails too), but not too big for that pond.
Matt Shandorf
Advisors

PostPosted: 2004.03.07(Sun)10:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I agree. Comets are great pond fish and are very hardy. They also seem to breed very readily in ponds. They have spawned every year for the past 5 years in our pond, and last year we got over 20 survivors!
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: