Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Tap Water Filter?
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wormo3188
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.03.06(Sat)15:03    Post subject: Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Tap Water Filter? Reply with quote

I was wondering if this would constitute as making RO water? Does anyone have this, how well does it work? And do I really need to use RO water for a FO(WLR?)?

Thanks, Wormo

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=22577;category_id=1755;pcid1=;pcid2=

Thats what I am thinking about getting, will it work?
Agent Smith
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.03.06(Sat)18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

IME, its an exlant alternitive to RO, espceialy if you are starped for cash. I have found only 2 downers:
1. it runs through cartirges, especialy if you have poluted and/or realy hard water. my water is very clean but its very hard: I get about 80 gallons per cartigide or roughly a month. I don't deal w/ tremendous amounts of water, so its still preaty econmical.
2. the faucet is incredibly leaky, at least on my fauctes.

but there are several uppers:
1. price
2. speed
3. ease of use
4. availblity
5. still makes great water.

what do other people think?
wormo3188
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.03.06(Sat)20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

My water is pretty clean, not hard at all, pretty much neutral, so I hope I can get through more than one cartedge a month. I don't care about it being leaky, the tanks are in my basement and the faucets are above my sump pump, so it will just drain out into the street if there is any overflow/leaking.
Agent Smith
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.03.07(Sun)13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

should be fine. its not extremly leaky but if its "aimed" wrong it can resuled in a wet counter top. more of a nusacne than any thing.
wormo3188
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.03.07(Sun)14:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, well I ordered it last night, going to give it a shot, I am not dealing with huge amounts of water here so hopefully this will do the trick.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.03.10(Wed)4:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just to be safe test the water before using it in the tank. I had a waterfilter on my sink and I tested the water afterwards and it still had hi nitrates and phosphates in it. But that was only a brita filter where the one you are getting might take much more out.
Agent Smith
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.03.10(Wed)17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is WAY differant than any "tap water filter", like the britta. they only contain carbon to remove chlorine and bad teast; the AP tap water filter uses deionization and AFAIK, its comparable to distilled.
wormo3188
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.03.13(Sat)21:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I used it to fill my tank, 70+ gallons and not violet yet, so I guess it is still good, But I did notice that as time progressed, some of the resin was lost from the filter and ended up in my tank, is this normal? The manual says that it is normal in the beginning but nothing about near the end of its usage, is this a sign that the cartridge needs to be replaced?
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: