Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
green water
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aw1182
Members

PostPosted: 2004.03.01(Mon)18:54    Post subject: green water Reply with quote

OK I bought a twin tube strip light, 2x15w with reflector, for my 20 gallon tall tank about 2 months ago. Every time I use this light strip I get green water but when I go back to my single 15 watt strip light I don't have this problem. Any one have any suggestions on how I can keep using my 2x15w lighting without getting green water? I currently have 4 plants. I recently added DIY CO2 but still getting green water...
mmm..algae
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.03.01(Mon)19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the same issue. Of course, frequent water changes will make the problem a little better. I know, this is tiresome and hard work. Another option which worked extremely well for is using a phosphate remover. Just stuff the little bag into your filter, and this should keep your green water in check. Just keep a close eye on water conditions. How long do you keep the lights on everyday?
aw1182
Members

PostPosted: 2004.03.01(Mon)20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have gotten rid of the green water by doing blackouts and water changes but my problem here is every time I can't use my twin tube striplight without having green water come up. I only leave the light on 6-8 hrs, any more and it would be seriously clouded :/. So basically can any one tell me what is out of sync in my tank?
Steve Hampton
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.03.01(Mon)20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

More plants. Add lots of fast growing stem plants. Do you have another established planted tank? If so, siphon some of the plant mulm from the bottom of that tank and pour the water and mulm into your green water tank. The best approach is to eliminate the green water by doing a 50% water change then perform one of the following:

Diatom filtering,
UV filtering,
blackout,

When the Green Water is visibly gone, add a bunch of fast growing stem plants and insure that you have CO2 15-30ppm, 5-15ppm of NO3, and 0.5-1.0ppm of PO4. Add a trace nutrient provider such as Seachem Flourish or TMG (Tropica Master Grow) so that you plants aren't nutrient limited and your green water should be a thing of the past. Having happy growing plants that aren't nutrient limited is your best defense against algal problems.
Members

PostPosted: 2004.03.04(Thu)18:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

how would you be able to increase nO3 and phosphate levels??
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: