Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Heater for 72g Tank
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wormo3188
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.03.02(Tue)20:57    Post subject: Heater for 72g Tank Reply with quote

I am trying to decide which heater I should get for my new tank, the ones that I am chosing from are the following...I am just checking to make sure that they are all safe for a salt aquarium. This is my first venture into salt so I want to make sure that I do this right.

Aquarium Pharmaceuticals RENA CAL Top Light 300watt
Aquarium Systems Visi-Therm 300watt
ViaAqua Preset Heater 300watt
ViaAqua Titanium Heater 300watt
Marineland Dual-Temp Heater 300watt

If there are any that you guys are sure I should NOT get because of any failures you have had or accidents or anything failing on you, thanks,

-Wormo
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.03.02(Tue)22:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with 2 200's. Better safe than sorry. Don't know about the brands you mentioned. Only use Ebo-jager now. Hard to be $15 @ bigal's.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
wormo3188
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.03.02(Tue)23:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking that as well, but I am not sure, The tank is my basement which has very little temperature fluctuations throughout the year, maybe a five to ten degree change throughout the year, so I thought that I may be able to squeak by on a 300, but I'll definitly look into getting 2. Another question I have is, where would be the most efficient place to put this, I usually put it near my filter intake where I am sure water will be thuroughly circulating, yet I have the tank with a built in overflow, so, should I put it inside the overflow box? or inside the tank? or in the sump?
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.03.03(Wed)7:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea of two heaters is to lower the stress and use on one heater. Extending the life of your heaters and giving you some fault tolerance in case one heater goes out. Even if your temperature doesn't falucuate much, the problem is if the basement temp is less than what you want your tank to be.

If you get submeriable heaters then you could lay them just above the substrate horizontally. The the power cords head up in the corners. The convextion creates an updraft heating your coldest water then send it up. If you don't get submerabile just keep them on opposite sides of the tank.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mario
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.03.03(Wed)8:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest you look into the Hydor external inline heaters. I had one for about 6 weeks now and I love it. One item less in the tank and they work like a charm.

Check them out here.
wormo3188
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.03.03(Wed)17:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that thing is cool, Definitly sparked some interest. Not to sure about the price though, was hoping I could get away with some cheaper heating for the time being. Another question, is this safe for SW use?

I am still working on setting up my overflow, and would it be possible to place a heater in there? or is there something that would prevent me from doing so?
wormo3188
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.03.13(Sat)21:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided I was going to put a UV filter in the line, so I am just going with a basic submersible heater, saved me $40 and I can still put it somewhere else out of the way so I won't see it, ei: Sump or overflow box.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: