Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Propagating Amazon Swords.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mario
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.03.03(Wed)11:55    Post subject: Propagating Amazon Swords. Reply with quote

My Echinodorus amazonicus (Amazon Sword) are growing like mad. Within a week or two after addition of fertilizer sticks they have grown very bushy (over 20 leaves) and very tall (over 20'').

On the web I have seen people report that their Echinodorus amazonicus sends up flower stalks on which adventive baby plants develop. I have never observed this in my tank. Does anybody have any experience on how to induce the swords to send out one of those flower stalks?
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.03.03(Wed)12:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how to get them to make flowers. In the one of the recent Aquarium Fish Mag about just splitting the plant in half. I don't' know if I would want to try it, but if you really need 1/2 of a big plant...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Georgiadawgger
Advisors

PostPosted: 2004.03.04(Thu)9:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently was fortunate to obtain a couple rather large AS from Petsmart...they were pretty much the size of what is called "mother plants". Each of them had two long stalks of small propagules and flower buds. To get them going, all you need to do is cut off the entire stem and then cut the small plants off the stem...I leave about 2 cm of the stem to help with planting. You'll notice in a couple days to a week they will develop roots and do fine...as long as my harn clown loaches would keep boring holes into the leaves!!!
ReefJones
Advisors

PostPosted: 2004.03.05(Fri)9:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine just took off, when I added root tabs to the sub. I left the "baby plants on the mother plants for a good while until the babies looked identical to the older plants. This took a couple of months, but the plants did better when I seperated them. I will see if I can find a pic and post it later.
Reef
Mario
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.03.05(Fri)9:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReefJones wrote:
Mine just took off, when I added root tabs to the sub. I left the "baby plants on the mother plants for a good while until the babies looked identical to the older plants. This took a couple of months, but the plants did better when I seperated them. I will see if I can find a pic and post it later.
Reef

See, here's the problem. Mine are taking off like nobodies business. The leaves are huge and there are new leaves every other day. The tips are now floating on the surface of my 24'' tall 90 gallon tank. Shocked Unfortunately, they don't seem to be inclined to send out these flower stalks. I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to trigger them into flowering.
ReefJones
Advisors

PostPosted: 2004.03.05(Fri)10:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave them alone. Shocked Smile IT took mine a few months after they had reached the top of my 55 gal and my 125 gal. I think this might trigger them to produce flower stalks. I always see the plants that come into the store with raggedy flower stalks on them, and these are the same plants that have been emersed grown. Confused I bet it has something to do with the plant, and simulating an environment more like the one it thrives in. It could also have to do with the plethera of co2 it gets at the surface. Hope you get your flowers, I would just do a little waiting. I`ll see if I can find those pics tonight.
Later
Reef
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: