Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Need advice for first timer???
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcflyers7
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.02.21(Sat)11:03    Post subject: Need advice for first timer??? Reply with quote

OK, I'm converting my 55g african cichlid tank into a fish-only marine tank. I currently have a Fluval canister filter and Aqua Clear 300 power filter and a rena air pump. I can't afford to get all new filtration/lighting, etc... I already have a crushed coral substrate, so I figure all I need to do is add some "arag-alive" sand along with some live rock, salt mix, and I plan on buying a twin tube fluorescent setup with the proper bulbs. Down the road I will add a protein skimmer, once its up and running for awhile. Is this OK to start out??? Any other recommendations???
dcflyers7
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.02.23(Mon)20:17    Post subject: ...... Reply with quote

anyone, a little help here???? please... Sad
cailan
Members

PostPosted: 2004.02.23(Mon)20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really know much about saltwater and since no one is responding here's a website to go to: www.maast.org. its a marine website for the south texas area, but they have a message board and you can ask all sorts of questions. they really know their stuff!
good luck! Laughing
FinLi
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.02.24(Tue)20:24    Post subject: Re: Need advice for first timer??? Reply with quote

dcflyers7 wrote:
OK, I'm converting my 55g african cichlid tank into a fish-only marine tank. I currently have a Fluval canister filter and Aqua Clear 300 power filter and a rena air pump. I can't afford to get all new filtration/lighting, etc... I already have a crushed coral substrate, so I figure all I need to do is add some "arag-alive" sand along with some live rock, salt mix, and I plan on buying a twin tube fluorescent setup with the proper bulbs. Down the road I will add a protein skimmer, once its up and running for awhile. Is this OK to start out??? Any other recommendations???

Get a better job, save your money...so you can do it up right Laughing ............J/K

FinLi
dcflyers7
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.03.01(Mon)20:16    Post subject: ??? Reply with quote

anyone??? someone has gotta have some recommendations???
Waffleman
Members

PostPosted: 2004.03.04(Thu)22:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like you have what you need to start a Fish only marine tank.
It would be nice to have a small skimmer (HOB), but if you keep up with the water changes (which you should anyway) it will be OK.
Run carbon in at least 1 of the filters.

Do you have a specific fish in mind you like to keep? a 55G is on the small size, imo.

Waffleman
dcflyers7
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.03.05(Fri)15:11    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

I figure I would start with a pair of clowns, and maybe a yellow tail damsel, since they are supposedly less aggressive for a damsel. Down the road I figure on adding a gobie, some cleaner shrimp, and whatever else might be necessary. I'd really like a Blue tang, or a Hawaii yellow tang, but they would probably be too big for my 55g...
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.03.10(Wed)5:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your going with a FO your filters would work and you wouldnt need any special lighting for a FO. I would get rid of the CC and just have sand. If you live near a home depot or somwhere you can get southdown sand super cheap. Its a dry aragonite but can be seeded with live sand and eventually all become live. You won't have to upgrade your lighting untill you decide to go with corals then you get into the pc, vho, and mh's.

You could go with a kole or bristle tooth tang for a 55 but about any other species you would need a 75 or bigger so just skip on the tangs you mentioned. Keep in mind to start out a good rule of thumb is 1" per 5 gallons and that is full mature size of the fish not the small size you buy in the store.

check this site out

http://www.reefcorner.com/reef%20keeping_101.htm
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: