Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Sexing goldfish. Warning, lots of pics!
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.03.13(Sat)23:33    Post subject: Sexing goldfish. Warning, lots of pics! Reply with quote

If you have been to the Aqualounge and read the story, a male and a female goldfish died today. The female was popped in the freezer about 10 minutes after death and the male about 3 hours. When my sis got, home, I thawed them out(felt like my mom washing a fish) and took some pics. To take some sting out of this unfortuanate occurance, the male and the female were both in breeding condition. I took a few photos of the main points to consider while sexing a goldfish. Just for reference, the male(Peaches) is yellowish, while the female(Casper) is the white one.

First off, females tend to be much plumper in breeding condition

Males, during breeding season, develop tubercles on the gill plates. See them in this photo?

The pectoral fin also grows "tubercles". On males who are more than several breeding years old, just by feeling the fin you can feel the tubercles, even out of breeding season. They are clearly shown in this photo.

Another thing, though this may not be surefire, is that males often have pointier pectoral fins.

Compared to the females rounded ones.

The Most important way to tell is by looking at the goldfishes vents. As can be seen in this photo. The males vent is flat, and sometimes pushed in.

The females vent, on the other hand, protrudes out.

Good Luck, and note that these techniques only work on mature fish, and tubercles are shown only in breeding condition
FantailFishyUK
Members

PostPosted: 2004.04.12(Mon)3:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a breeder I must point out that there is only 1 100% accurate sexing method & thats to actually gain fertillised eggs from a pair.

For example of of my mature father goldies has an outward protruding vent, a little strange but hes definately a male Confused however in the past year he has developed VERY strong tubercles all over the gill covers, around the eyes & the front rays of his pecs.

I mostly rely on tubercles (only VERY strong ones) and watching their mating chases.
waldo
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.04.14(Wed)8:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if male koi develope tubercles?My koi are 3 years old now and I would love to get babies this year.
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.04.24(Sat)10:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

FantailFishyUK wrote:
As a breeder I must point out that there is only 1 100% accurate sexing method & thats to actually gain fertillised eggs from a pair.

For example of of my mature father goldies has an outward protruding vent, a little strange but hes definately a male Confused however in the past year he has developed VERY strong tubercles all over the gill covers, around the eyes & the front rays of his pecs.

I mostly rely on tubercles (only VERY strong ones) and watching their mating chases.

I'll agree with you on that. Surely none of the ones above are fullproof. The tubercles and the venting(with the exception of your fish) are the most reliable. The only problem with venting is that you must catch the fish. The tubercles can sometimes be seen while watching the fish.

I have observed this pair spawning(swimming like crazy, jumping, laying eggs etc.) and the eggs have hatched. Currently, there is only one very lonely adult goldfish in the pond, and some babies.

Waldo: You are quite likely to get babies. Chances are they may have laid eggs already without your knowledge.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: