Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
[Done] New Tank Syndrome
 Forum Index > Article Preparation Room  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tommy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.03.06(Sat)1:17    Post subject: [Done] New Tank Syndrome Reply with quote

Final text moved to the Articles section:

http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_syndrome.php

Last edited by Tommy on 2004.03.08(Mon)13:50; edited 9 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.03.06(Sat)2:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like it Tommy! Let's wait for others to chip in of course, but I think it's pretty much ready to go. The only possible improvement I might suggest is that in the first section you try to emphasize the fact that NTS is NOT unavoidable, it's a result of MISTAKES and loss of fish CAN be minimized or even totally avoided by understanding the concept of tank cycling and monitoring this process with the appropriate tests.
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.03.06(Sat)10:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Format is great! Overall a very nice article.

If you ever do an article on tank maintenance, then it could be a part 2 to this one.
Tommy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.03.06(Sat)10:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great suggestion Marcos, thanks. I've worked it into the first section, second paragraph. I also went back through the entire article and made a few adjustments. Where you see Dark Blue color text is the part that I have edited since the original post.

Thanks Noname. I don't have any plans to write a sequel, but maybe that is a great idea to spur someone else here on the board to try their hand at writing?
Advisors

PostPosted: 2004.03.06(Sat)16:12    Post subject: Re: [Draft] New Tank Syndrome Reply with quote

Tommy, I think it's a great article - It must have taken you forever to write! It'll go well with Shawna's Fishless cycling article.

Sorry for being nitpicky, but I think there are two punctuation errors in the second paragraph.

Tommy wrote:

Welcome to the hobby, you are experiencing New Tank Syndrome or NTS. Though obviously not a scientifically classified malady, this is a very real condition that many new fish keepers find themselves experiencing...The loss of fish in a brand new tank, CAN be minimized or even totally avoided by understanding the concept of tank cycling and monitoring this process with the appropriate tests.-

In the first sentence, I would put either a semicolon or a dash between hobby
and you to separate those two independent clauses. Also, no comma is necessary between tank and CAN.

*Smacking myself for being anal*

[/I]
Tommy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.03.06(Sat)16:20    Post subject: Re: [Draft] New Tank Syndrome Reply with quote

Matt Shandorf wrote:
Sorry for being nitpicky, but I think there are two punctuation errors in the second paragraph.

Thanks Matt! You are NOT being nitpicky. That's what this is all about. I've been through it numerous times and I keep finding grammar errors too. Feel free to point out any others that you can find.
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.03.08(Mon)22:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woohoo...I don't know how it was for you all but for me the process was great...it took me like 10 minutes to get the article up after I saw it [Ready] Smile
 Forum Index > Article Preparation Room All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: