Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Discus tank setup
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > The Best of the Board  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
demonseed
Members

PostPosted: 2003.03.02(Sun)17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, sounds good. But can I make a few substitutions? Instead of spinach could I use squash or zucini? That is what I feed my other fish and they seem to like it a lot more then the spinach, plus I am alergic to spinach and don't really care for it myself and for some reason I feel uneasy feeding this to my fish even though it is healthy. And also what is muti-vitamins and where can I get some? Also would this recipe be good for my other fish? It sounds to be really healthy and if it is true that what I am giving them is 80% water, then I don't want to go out and buy that. Also when you say to add the muti vitamin tablets I assume I am to crush it up and mix everything all together and that I should also cut up the shrimp correct?
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.03.03(Mon)8:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

demonseed wrote:
I think I will just get whatever young discus I can get hold of just to start out. Do you think this is a mistake? What types of discus should I definitely avoid? And is pH 7.2 to high or should I follow what everyone says and just leave it alone?

All of the advise so far has been excellent, I would just like to help on a couple of unanswered questions from this post:
1. a LFS or LPC Discus can be the worst choice you could make. Very often these fish have been so badly shipped or treated that they will carry disease and could have damage from diseases they have already been hit by. Discus kept n very hard water for example can have calcium deposits on their internal organs which has been reported to make them more prone to mystery deaths from internal infections! Being in California you have an advantage I do not have right now. Order yours from Cary Stong of Great lakes Discus. Get Red turqs or go for the full deal and splurge for snakeskins. Cary's Discus will not have disease and they are totally healthy. Cary seems to have a habit of sending one or two more than was ordered too! Start with great stock and you won't be sorry!
2. Discus to avoid- ghost strains, solids colours (diamonds), and anything with anything more than a two part name! LOL. Discus like Red Sunburst Opal Honey Discus usually means that the breeder has been experimenting with a developing a strain. I prefer to stick to the tried and true strain from known good stock.

And 3., though answered, I offer my two cents- even pH of 7.6 is not an issue. My tanks are a pH of 7.6 with a GH and KH of near 0.
HTH
Discus Man is gone... I remain... #6... I am not a number I am a free man!

PostPosted: 2003.03.03(Mon)16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

DiscusMan wrote:
My tanks are a pH of 7.6 with a GH and KH of near 0

What keeps your pH from droping and why would you keep your hardness at 0 with out chems I don't see what would stop pH from falling.
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.03.04(Tue)10:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Guest...
pH has very little to do with KH and GH directly. (Indirectly yes)
pH is themeasurement of Hydrogen ions in the water column.
The rain water I add has a KH and GH of near 0 but the pH is stabilized by the sand substrate. I grabbed it from the shores of lake Erie for its purple colour. If I did not do any water changes the GH and KH will raise from near 0 to around 4 as calcium and other things leach out of the sand.
With weekly water changes the KH and GH stays between 0 and 1.
The pH must be maintained at exactly 7.6 by some balance of OH ions that leach from the sand.
For a while in a 10g I played with the pH and this sand to see if I could exert any control over it. I could not and now have given up trying.
Discus Man is gone... I remain... #6... I am not a number I am a free man!
demonseed
Members

PostPosted: 2003.03.05(Wed)17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to make the fish food with the recipe provided above, but I would like to know if the multi-vitamins have to be made specifically for fish or if it can be any kind. I'm pretty sure that vitamins are vitamins, but I need to make sure. I don't need my fish dying Wink My other fish can also eat this food correct? Also I found some nice looking red turqs at www.sereneaquatics.com I am not sure where they are located, but does any one know how much it normally cost to ship about four discus?
Mike
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.03.06(Thu)12:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vitamin tablets are the type that we have, Vit A, b, c, d, e etc etc.

If making a lot of food, use 2 tablets, 1 tablet if not so much.

Since your fish will be eating spinich you don't need to worry.

Spinnich has a very high nutritional value, and I therefore don't know if it can be exchanged for other forms. Spinnich also makes up he bulk of the meaty product to hold it all together.

Look at Popeye. (not the disease) Very Happy
demonseed
Members

PostPosted: 2003.03.07(Fri)16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

some one mentioned earlier that 7.2 pH is fine as long as I'm not trying to breed them. What if I eventually try to breed them, should I lower the pH. Also I was reading in a site that you should put peat moss in the tank, because it lowers pH and it turns the water "tea brown". Is this really neccesary. Cause I'm not tooo wild about having brown water, In fact I am constantly doing water changes if the water looks anything but crystal clear.
Mike
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.03.08(Sat)3:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

My discus are trying to breed again, and my pH is between 7.2 and 7.5
KH 1 and GH 3

pH is not really an issue, the only thing is has to help being soft for is to help the fry hatch.

It is very difficult and possibly dangerous to alter pH for specific reasons, cause it is not very stable.

Best way I have found of reducing pH safely is to add CO2.
 Forum Index > The Best of the Board All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: