Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Board was down...
 Forum Index > Site Issues  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.05.17(Tue)5:53    Post subject: Board was down... Reply with quote

As you surely noticed, the board was offline for almost a day, due to a crash in the mySQL server, followed by an absurd sequence of events that led to me losing access to the site in order to try to correct the problem on my ownf. I had to send a ticket to technical support at administrative level, so that they could restart mySQL and give me back control of the site.

In principal it doesn't seem to have anything to do with hackers or the like, but actually problems with the server itself and possibly with the fact that the board is getting huge and heavy even for a dedicated server as we have (also noting that there's the Brazilian version so there are 2 boards of similar size and number of users)

Anyway, I still don't have full access to the site, I'll work on getting that back with the technical support, and then see what can be done to avoid that something like this happens again Rolling Eyes
Indiaqualover
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.17(Tue)8:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the Best Marcos. These kind of things happen at times. My cousin also uses MySQL server for his website. In order to reduce this crashing(it occurs few and far in between), he has developed a new method for posting messages and accepting members(He has linked up with Microsoft). You need a separate authentication key which will be provided by a moderator or the owner himself. No direct user registrations are allowed. Everything is done through one of the moderators or the owner himself.

Just a suggestion from my side.
Mogwai
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.05.17(Tue)12:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank god for the return...I was getting withdrawal symptoms....ftzzzzzz Laughing
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.05.17(Tue)22:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the issues continue...today the mySQL server crashed again and I still don't have control of the site. Technical support restarted mySQL again but it's quite possible that it'll crash again after several hours.

What I did now was the only attempt I could with the limited access I have...I temporarily removed the search table from the board's database to see it reduces the load on mySQL and it will remain online for longer. This reduces the board size by half without affecting the posts themselves, but any seach run on the board right now won't give any results...

Finally, it's quite possible that for the next few days the board will be up and down again for several hours, so if you read this please tell others in case they ask around...I can't even access the site itself to put up a note on the Main Page Confused
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.05.17(Tue)22:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attention users who are visiting right now. In about 30 minutes from the posting of this message I'm going to take the board offline to try a backup and a few more improvements. I should have it online again after another 30 minutes...
Susan Wright
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.17(Tue)22:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

UGH, more withdrawel symptons. Oh my. But I think we can all handle it for a little while.
 Forum Index > Site Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: