Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
mystery fish
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrswx
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)20:36    Post subject: mystery fish Reply with quote

OK, I used to have this flat fish (although, he might not have been a 'fish' he lived in my aquarium) I have never seen them in the stores since, we are talking at least ten years ago.
He was brown with a lighter brown (almost off-white) underside, that was flat, and he cleaned the side of the tank. his eyes were on the top of his body, and raised up, almost snail/slug like. He was velvety soft looking and got ick easily. He never chased any of my other fish, and was cute as all get out. I don't know what he was though! his whole underside was flat, not just his mouth-area like a plecostomus.
I had several and two lived a year at least, but one died within days of getting home, he had a horrible case of ick. Anyway, I would love to have one again, but I have not seen them in years, and I don't know what he was called! Anyone have any idea? Confused
gwtaylor
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)21:26    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Sounds like you are talking about freshwater flounders or soles. I had a few like you just said and they became ill with ich very easily too. I think someone on here said they like a little bit of salt in their water, but don't quote me on that.
mrswx
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)21:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's it! he was a flounder! thank you for solving that mystery for me! Very Happy
elTwitcho
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)21:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a hillstream loach to me, something similarish to this?

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_hillstream.php
mrswx
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.17(Tue)22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope not like that at all. When I say flat, I mean FLAT, like a pancake! and his eyes were on top of his head, and they stuck up a little.
http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Oddball,%20Flounder.htm
like the ones on this site, only mine was maybe an incha nd a half long or less,...
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: