Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
what size container/bowl
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bumble_bee
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.18(Tue)20:53    Post subject: what size container/bowl Reply with quote

OK I have decided that when I get enough money I am going to by a goldfish. I hope to get a celestial goldfish as I think they are sooo cute. I don't particularly want to buy a tank for it, I would rather keep it in a container or a bowl or something big enough that it will fit in once it has reached its adult size (approx 5inches)

Can anybody recommend what size container/bowl I should get??

Feel free to suggest anything
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.01.18(Tue)21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but fancy goldfish don't just hit 5". They can get anywhere from 8-15" with good care and proper filtration and feeding, which these messy guys absolutely need. I don't recommend anything less than a 15g tank for even one goldfish. They are HUGE ammonia producers and messy eaters as well. Your tank maintenence would include changing the water of a 15g at least twice a week, if not more.

If you want to keep something in a container, go for a betta.
jynxy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.19(Wed)3:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Huntress, I have 4 fancy goldfish in a 20 gal tank, I know that is far too small for them, its realy like payback for the amount of water changes I have to do, to keep the water clean. Please don't get a bowl or a container for that matter, its cruel and very inhumane.

Read the link below....

http://hometown.aol.com/_ht_a/kmam1/MyPond/GiantGoldfish.html
Josh Hansen
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.30(Sat)23:09    Post subject: Goldfish Reply with quote

Gold fish can reach 30cm, live for 30 years and excrete a lot of waste for a standard fish. I would look at fish species that can live in small container where it would more humane for the fish.

Goodluck
from Josh
goldfish125girl
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.02(Mon)8:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget goldfish grow fast:

f_i_s_h_
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.13(Fri)14:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen articles where the minimum recommended goldfish tank size is 100 gallons, more for comets.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.05.17(Tue)9:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before posting advice like that based on an article you read you may want to add a link to said article. Personally I have never once seen an article that states 100g for gold fish. 100g+ for koi maybe but not fancy goldfish. Comets should have the same requirements as koi, but you can go a tad smaller since they don't become as monstrous
LittleMousling
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.17(Tue)13:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

::Raises hand:: I've written articles that recommend 100 gallons for a goldfish tank, or larger - so articles like that are out there. Goldfish are BIG fish - they need to be treated like tankbusters, and it's baffling to me that people will scream bloody murder about Silver Dollars in 4' tanks but say nothing about two goldfish in a 20 tall.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: