Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Lump on Oscars lip... Any ideas?
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jynxy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.16(Mon)1:57    Post subject: Lump on Oscars lip... Any ideas? Reply with quote

I've recently noticed my Oscar has a lump on his bottom lip, I've been treating him with MelaFix but it seems to be getting slightly bigger. He recently went through a bad ordeal the other week with my little brother accidently over feeding, I don't no if this might have anything to do with it. Has anyone else had experience with this? and can someone tell me a treatment for it.

Thanks in advance,

Jynxy
haname
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.05.17(Tue)8:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please describe the lump -- size, texture, color, if there is any swelling or redness around it, etc.

Some lumps are harmless and do not need to be treated. Lymphocystis is a viral disease that causes lumpy growths, often having a cauliflower-like appearance. It's very common in aquarium fish and a possibility in your case. Read more about this disease here.

If the lesion grows around the mouth and prevents feeding, it can be treated surgically. Other than that, there isn't much to be done about it if it is Lymphocystis. This disease is not deadly or anything, just an unsightly nuisance.

~Haname
jynxy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.17(Tue)9:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lump looks reddish, kind of warty like, you can see it right in the middle of the lip going through it to the other side, it sounds like Lymphocystis by the way you describe it. Hes does seem to be fine other wise. Just out of curiousity, where does this disease come from? bad water conditions, bad diet or is it heriditary (Sp?)

Jynxy
haname
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.05.17(Tue)9:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's caused by a virus. A virus is in the environment, transmitted by other fish, and is not due to poor water conditions or food or whatever. However, optimal food quality and water conditions will strengthen your fish's immune system which will help it fight the virus.

~Haname
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: