Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
how to decide if fish is a mole or female
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shazz
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)9:55    Post subject: how to decide if fish is a mole or female Reply with quote

I've got 3 tiger barbs, 2 gold barbs, 2 bosemani rainbow fish and a firemouth cichlid and I want to know how can I check out if they are male or female. another thing how can I breed them and what does an egg look like.thanks
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.05.17(Tue)8:07    Post subject: Re: how to decide if fish is a mole or female Reply with quote

shazz wrote:
I've got 3 tiger barbs, 2 gold barbs, 2 bosemani rainbow fish and a firemouth cichlid and I want to know how can I check out if they are male or female. another thing how can I breed them and what does an egg look like.thanks
With such low numbers you have little chance of having a male and female and them being compatible mates. You would have to get more if you planned on breeding those fish. I won't explain that firemouth's concern! Laughing

If you want to get into breeding fish, its very rewarding but you can't use a small community tank and cross your fingers. It will only lead to frustration.
Discus Man is gone... I remain... #6... I am not a number I am a free man!
haname
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.05.17(Tue)8:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your firemouth will kill all the other fish. Shocked It should be removed ASAP if you want to keep your other fish.

~Haname
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.17(Tue)8:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

haname wrote:
Your firemouth will kill all the other fish. Shocked It should be removed ASAP if you want to keep your other fish.

I agree.

One more thing to consider- Firmeouths shouldn't be in a 40L anyway (I'm assuming this the tank in your profile). The absolute bare minimum is a 120L, though a 200L tank is probably best for them.

The size of the tank is paricularly important to the compatability issues that #6 and haname are pointing out. While I would suspect a firemouth to give your fish problems even if they were in a larger tank, the decreased size of a 40L only ensures that it will happen. Firemouths are afterall territorial- placing them in too small a territory only means they are going to defend that territory more vigorously.

Also, stunting probably applies here as well.

On a seperate note, a 40L isn't the best tank for Tiger Barbs either. While it certainly isn't as severe a situation as the Firemouth, I think you'd be best to find them more suitable quarters. They certainly won't be suffer too much health wise (ie-stunting) but tigers need more swim space than a 10g can provide. Also, tigers can become nippy with other fish, you can expect that to be a bigger problem in such a cramped abode. Honestly, while tigers can be kept in a 20 (long), IMO they are really best off in schools of greater than 5, housed in a 30g (US) or larger.

Anyway, please don't take this as any of us berating you, we're just concerned about the health of your fish and how that will effect your overall success keeping them. So, again, take the firemouth back as soon as you can and re-evaluate the Tigers.

hth

Jake
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.05.17(Tue)9:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I would disagree that having the tigers in a 40L is not as severe. It can be just as bad to have three inch, thick bodied fish that require a large group and plenty of territory so they don't become stunted, murderous creatures who will harrass anything in the tank. Tigers really need a minimum of 115L. Your Bosmani's will need new housing as well and do better in larger groups.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: