Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Fuzzy White Stuff?
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
duncanmaclean
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)19:25    Post subject: Fuzzy White Stuff? Reply with quote

I am new to this. My 20 gal tank is about 3 weeks old. I have 4 cherry barbs, 3 leopard danios, and 3 zebra danios.

I just noticed toward one back corner of my tank, some white fuzzy stuff. The best way I can describe it is like a spider's web or cattapliier cocoon.

Any ideas?

I have swapper 1/3 of my water twice already and the water tests fine (water is a little on the hard side, but that is the nature of my local water).
~sunshine~
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.14(Sat)14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a friend with a problem similar to that. The best thing to do is remove the "infected" gravel and rinse carefully scalding hot water. Take care to use no soap. You don't have to take out any of the water. If it comes back, you may have to clean all of your gravel the same way you did with the small area of "infected gravel".
Josh Hansen
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.16(Mon)3:23    Post subject: Fungi Reply with quote

You have fungi decomposing the organic food such as a dead fish in the gravel. It will not hurt your fish but if it is unaesthetic pleasing just clean up the gravel with hot water.

Good Luck

from Josh
haname
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.05.17(Tue)9:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you feed your fish, does a lot of extra food fall to the bottom? You have no bottom-dwellers to pick up extra food, so it is probably accumulating in that one spot. Most beginning fishkeepers feed too much. I would remove it with a gravel vacuum while doing a water change, and feed less.

Since your tank is only 3 weeks old, it may not yet be fully cycled. Check out the articles for more info on that.

~Haname
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: