Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
krib conditions
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daniel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.16(Mon)7:11    Post subject: krib conditions Reply with quote

I am currently cyclign my new tank for the kribs I was planning to get and I read they like about a pH of around 7. My pH is currently 8.2 and I was wondering what I could do to lower it, and if there was any other conditions I need to set for them if I want them to breed. The tank has a few live plants and Lots of slate that makes tunnels, caves et.
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.16(Mon)7:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your first line of attack would be to start adding some peat moss to your filter. Peat slow releases acids which will breakdown your waters hardness and buffering capacity, which will lower your pH and overall hardness. Unfortunatley, this method doesn't provide much control, so you keep a close eye on how it reacts with your water and adjust the amount you are using accordinly.

If you don't get good results with peat, you can either find a source of Reverse Osmosis water or purchase a Reverse Osmosis filter. Reverse Osmosis filtration removes nearly all of your water's hardness. Since it is so soft, it is generally best to mix it with regular tap to achieve the level of hardness you are going for.

If peat fails and you don't have the cash on hand to pick up an RO unit, you can use distilled water safely. Again, you'll probably want to mix this with tap to achieve a safe level of buffering.

Hope that helps...

Jake
jynxy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.16(Mon)7:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also I've heard using bogwood helps lower pH too.
mshortri
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.16(Mon)8:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pair of kribs in a hard water/high pH tank, and they are doing great - breeding like crazy. Now, my pair were bred in Florida where everybody has hard water, so YMMV. But in my experience, Kribs are pretty hardy as far as water hardness and pH are concerned. The only caveat is that the sex ratio of the fry will depend on the pH - hig pH= more males.
Daniel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.17(Tue)7:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the help, its odd though isnt high pH linked to hard water?... because I have a water softner for my house and I thought that would help... also I read kribs like slightly brackish water, is this true?
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.17(Tue)7:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel wrote:
thanks for the help, its odd though isnt high pH linked to hard water?... because I have a water softner for my house and I thought that would help... also I read kribs like slightly brackish water, is this true?

Nope, kribs aren't a brackish fish. That was a thing that was only fairly recently dispelled, so lots of sites still haven't updated (or aren't aware of it yet).

As far as your water softener goes, it depends on the type. Some softners use a form of sodium to soften water, which while removing calcium and carbonate hardness can actually have some ill effects on fish.

pH and carbonate hardness are related (and to a lesser extent phosphates), check out buffering capacity in the glossary.

Also, on more thing, are your pH readings after a 24 houur gas off period, or are they directly from the tap? Allowing your water to sit for a while and dispell the gasses used to pressurize it for delivery can give you a bit more accurate reading (this is if you didn't know this already).

Jake
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: