Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
mini salt water tank and tomato clowns
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)22:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats what I thought when I first came here. learned heaps about fish and there care.

also for your tank if you were going to stock it with 1 yellow clown goby, you could also have a couple peppermint shrimp. the majority of gobys especialy the small ones are invertabrate and soft/lps coral safe. good coral choices would be very small frags of zoos or zoanthids or sea matts. amazing little things and they come in a great range of colours(I currently have a small colony which has brown/lime green tenticles and a white center surounded by purple).

Quote:
I' hoping I won't end up making an online order, but I think it is the only way if I want to be guaranteed healthy fish the nearby store only has a day warranty,and thats just not good enough for the price salt water fish generally cost.

as long as you cycle your tank properly and keep the water quality good(through water changes.) and aclimitize the fish properly(how you introduce the fish to the tank) your fish should be fine! with my current aclimitizing method I haven't had a fish die on me due to the change from the lfs's tank to mine. I personally have never ordered livestock online I always go to my lfs so you will have to ask some one else for their personal experience and where to go to shop online.

andrew
2 winged demons
joitoy
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)22:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. If things go right I might be cycling the tank tomorrow if I can move the current inhabitant to a new place. Then I'll study the articles on cycling and following the one that I'm least likely to mess up ^_^ After buying a test kit of course. Or else I'll never keep up with my ammonia.

I think I'm in love with nano-reef. Never seen such beautiful tanks before.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't worry, its quite difficult to mess up a cycle. just get the tank's equitment going with the water at the right salinity and all. add some substrate and a bit of live rock, go to your local safeway or woolworths ect and buy a dead prawn. cut it up into several peices. add 1 peice to the tank and put the rest in the freezer. after the first peice rots away add anouther and so on. test your water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate now and then to see how the cycle is going. you should see a spike in the ammonia within 48 hours of adding the first prawn peice. then in several weeks the ammoia will subside and the nitrite will spike then the nitrite will subsite and the nitrate will spike. then do water changes now and then untill the nitrate is within reasenable limits and ammonia and nitrite are 0 then add you first fish/living thing.

I know nano-reef has some amazing tanks! I just wish mine looked as good as some of them!

andrew
2 winged demons
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: