Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
aquarium plants???
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mysti
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)17:06    Post subject: aquarium plants??? Reply with quote

hi fish-fanatics...BTW I m new here and I don't know a lot about aqua plants so this question mite sound stupid Shocked :

I have never kept live plants in my 40 gal freshwater aquarium, and I don't know how to begin. I researched in the age of aquariums (this is THE best site for fish fanatics!!!!) garden section and looked for many aqua plants requiring low light. But can someone tell me exactly how I would go about changing the water when I do have plants carpeting the gravel/ bottom of the tank? And can I keep my 6 goldfishies in it with the plants????! And what kind of filtration would it need, and do I have to ferlitize the plants and etc???!
Glitch
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)18:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

First I would say you should get a bigger tank so your golds have room to swim and grow, and also to keep the amonia in check.

As for plants In my low light 20 gallon I have 'tape grass' and 'red winditti' my fish pretty much leave them be. I have noticed that these plans have not needed anything else (fertilizer and ect) to grow like crazy they also help to keep the nutrents in check and have slowed down my occurences of algae. If you want a plant "carpet" it would be better to go crazy and get Highlight, Co2 and fertilizers, because the plants that seem to give the effect of carpet best do better with all that.

As for filtration with 6 golds and 2 kida big ones I would go ahead and get a pretty darn good one just to help with gold fish waste issues. BUT if you do go crazy and get C02 and the like you'll have to do more reaserch to make sure your filter media doesn't cancel out the co2 and such. This sight has a good amount of infohttp://www.aquariaplants.com/lowlighttank.htm and its run by Steve whom you will see on our board.

But please get a bigger tank soon, so your fish won't continue to be stunted Very Happy Its not good for them to be kept in too small a tank and will cause health issues no matter the filter or plants. ( just friendly advise)

Glitch
Josh Hansen
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.12(Thu)21:04    Post subject: Plant Reply with quote

Eloda is a plant worth having in cold water I do not know about them in low light .However worth a try.

Good luck from Josh
Psyfalcon
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.12(Thu)22:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elodia does OK in low light tanks. My 10, with 1.5w/ gal will grow some very well, where it will branch off or continue growing (Depending on previous trimming) but there always seems to be some bit that refuses to live, and shrivles up. It may not be the light though :/

Elodia is supposed to be eaten by goldfish though. It may be eaten faster than it can grow. Actually, I'm pretty sure 6 goldfish could eat anything faster than it grows, maybe even duckweed!
Glitch
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.13(Fri)17:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I May not be totaly right but based on my fish...
Goldfish seem to only eat plants if they recognize them as food. If you have had them for several years and they've never had live plants before only plastic, they may not realize the plants are food... Or at least thats how mine seem to be. So it may vary or I could just be completly wrong but my obsrvations on my fish seem to point that way Very Happy
mysti
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)16:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you very much for your replies....
I will try to find these plants in the lfs, but the ones that are near my area, petland and petco, don't carry a variety of plants....and I really don't know how to contact a dealer or a hobbyist who would sell either!
oh well...I will try my best!
thanks again!!!!!!!!! Very Happy
Glitch
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can order them on-line or you could look in your local phone book for a non-chain fish/pet shop. One of the sites I see suggested a lot (but haven't tried yet) is http://www.liveaquaria.com/default.cfm?siteid=20&ref=3392&subref=AA Looks good to me but they have a minimum order requirement I belive.

Good luck and have fun
Glitch
piranha
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)19:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anubias are said to be plants goldfish don't like to eat. Mine eat them.Goldfish like to constantly look for food,and then plants if there is no bottom feeding.If you don't want them eating your plants, feed them several times a day,but keep up on your partial water changes.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: