Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
sources of nutrients in the water...
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boingyboingy
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.12(Thu)16:32    Post subject: sources of nutrients in the water... Reply with quote

I'm still trying to figure out my dosing plan for my 20g long. I know if you get blue-green algae (not enought nitrates), if you get green algae (have a deficiency somewhere else???). Well that's what I think I learned off the pmdd report and the estimative index I think.... So I was wondering what is already being applied to the tank from fish foods, from the fiish themselves, from the fish dietris, from anything else that may be adding to the nutrients in the water.

So far I only use KNO3 and Tetra flora pride (I use it as K2SO4, but has other stuff I don't know if I can actually substitute it for K2S04). I have about 30ppm of C02 and 2 ODNO Lights both at 6500K.

Main question being, what nutrients already get into the water from fish, food, dietris, etc...?

Right now I'm trying to figure out why I'm getting green spot algae and what I need to dose to correct it. My testing strips are kind of broad and I can't pinpoint stuff like where my nitrates are, I only assume that maybe I have 0 or close to it, but I'm not getting blue-greens, so I don't know.

Thanks in advance, please help if you can.
Rex Grigg
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.12(Thu)18:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to test you need to get some decent test kits. The strips are pretty much worthless as you have found out.

Otherwise go with the EI and just dose. Very little is actually added from the fish. Unless your tank is way overstocked or you overfeed to excess.

Semper Fi
boingyboingy
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.12(Thu)22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to go over some cause and effects about algae.

Blue-Green algae=low nitrates
Green Spot algae=something other than nitrates is deficient?
Brown algae=???
Hair algae=???

I was wondering if anyone new what caused different types of algae?

Thanks for you help!
Rex Grigg
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.13(Fri)6:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen a comprehensive chart that pinpoints specific causes for each algae.

I have also seen BGA in high nitrate tanks when the rest of the nutrients are out of balance.

Green spot algae can be caused by iron levels that are too high. Or not.

Brown algae is almost always present in a new tank. Some people say it's due to low light but I have gotten it in a 4 wpg 55 gallon tank.

Semper Fi
boingyboingy
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.13(Fri)17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the notion of pinpointing algae from the PMDD report. With what was present in the tank after the changes.

Well I was wondering what I could do about my tank this summer when I will be going to Japan for study abroad for about 5 or 6 weeks...I won't be able to do water changes and clean the tank up and stuff like that. I can get my mom to feed the fish and maybe dosing of fertilizers, but I don't think she would want to do the rest of the cleaning up. So I was wondering how should I go about dosing the tank when I'm gone if there were to be no water changes for about 6 weeks.

I have a 20long 2 odno at 6500K. 2 bottles of diy c02, Sae's, oto's, rams, rosy barbs, farlowellas, hill stream loach... about 15 fish altogether. I don't dose much currently usually about .5ppm of nitrate from KNO3 4 times a week, Flora pride about 1ml 4 times a week, and .2 ml of flourish trace mix 3 times a week currently.

So would I continue with the dosing when I'm gone?

Thanks
boingyboingy
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)13:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone know what I can do when I'm gone for 6 weeks???
boingyboingy
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)13:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone know what I can do when I'm gone for 6 weeks???
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: