Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
cultivating bloodworms?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a deadly fart
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.12(Thu)2:28    Post subject: cultivating bloodworms? Reply with quote

I was just curious about how to you raise bloodworms? Year they are only a buck for a baggie that lasts me for about two weeks but I was wondering is there any way to breed them?
Laskey
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.05.12(Thu)2:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloodworms are the larvae of a certain mosquito, not actual worms. That being said, are you still interested in breeding mosquitos?
Wayfarer
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.12(Thu)17:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's quite simple. As long as your climate isn't too harsh, just leave a large water-filled container outside for some time, and eventually you will see little red worms and maybe some in a pupa stage that can be sucked/netted/sifted out and after a washing, be fed to your fish. You might also end up breed mosquitoe larvae too, and they are just as good to feed your fish, just don't leave the bucket unattended for more than a few days if there are in fact mosquitoes propagating inside. Also, be careful to use a clean bucket or container with no detergents used in it.
haname
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.05.13(Fri)8:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloodworms are the larvae of the non-biting midge.

Quote:
Blood Worms In Hong Kong, chironomid larvae are grown on chicken manure. But to produce blood worms in large quantities the cost must be taken into consideration. Such a project is not practical on a limited scale and most hobbyist would find it far cheaper to by the frozen product.

This is a good article about culturing live food.

~Haname
crazyalice
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.13(Fri)17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick note: Make sure you wash your hands thoroughly after feeding blood worms (even frozen). I found out the hard way that I was allergic to them. The irritation I had to the eyes was extreme. I went to find out why my eyes were having this painful itching and redness, the Dr checked me out, then out of the blue asked if I kept fish. I told him yes, then he asked if I fed blood worms. Yikes! I was caught. This is something he has seen several times. Just thought I'd share that with you all. I still feed blood worms, I just make sure I don't touch my face, and wash real good when I finish.

Cheers!

CrazyAlice
a deadly fart
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.13(Fri)19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's summer time perhaps I'll give a try at the water bucket out doors deal.
qwerty123
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.14(Sat)6:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, this might be what you are all talking about but say if I had a bucket laying around in the back yard and it rained, a few days later I look in the bucket and I see small little rigglers moving about what kinda look like sea monkeys, are you saying these are blood worms??? if not can I feed them little rigglers to my fish or would they be carring germs etc because I have about 500 buckets laying around the yard with them little things in them.
Josh Hansen
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.14(Sat)8:17    Post subject: larvae Reply with quote

The larvae you seen in the bucket of water is mosquito larvae and they are fine for the fish to eat. Do not let the larvae become adults otherwise you have a bad mosquito problem.

from Josh
Laskey
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.05.14(Sat)8:42    Post subject: Re: larvae Reply with quote

Josh Hansen wrote:
The larvae you seen in the bucket of water is mosquito larvae and they are fine for the fish to eat. Do not let the larvae become adults otherwise you have a bad mosquito problem.

from Josh

Yea, not to change too far off the subject but I've been wanting to mention this for what it's worth. I get many mosquitos around here because of people keeping rain barrels and wet tires and other things outside. It's not pleasant. In a lot of countries, window screens aren't common or anywhere to be found, and nets don't fit over all types of windows. I've seen news reports about getting rid of things that collect water because it is a problem in a lot of places. So please if you grow mosquitos, keep a close eye on the water source. I know the non-biting midge is not really the concern here, but that's probably not the only kind that will grow. Many thanks, Laskey
haname
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)9:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try to discourage anyone from intentionally culturing mosquito larvae, because it is very hard to control the emergence of adult mosquitoes. Mosquitoes carry disease and we shouldn't take that lightly. Two diseases that are of concern where I live are West Nile Virus and Eastern Equine Virus. You don't want to get sick because of a mosquito bite.

~Haname
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: