Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
A cause for concern?
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlchavez21
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.14(Sat)6:18    Post subject: A cause for concern? Reply with quote

About 2-3 weeks ago I purchased a Pictus Catfish from my LFS and brought it home. I know they do better in groups, but I haven't been able to go buy another one yet. Anyway, he (she?) seemed to have been doing well, but in the last few days I've noticed that its belly is very bloated. Not all over though, there is just one part of the belly that stick out significantly. What is this? Is it something I should medicate, or is it natural, or what? Any advice/info would be great. Thanks!
kjh90
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.14(Sat)8:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, how big is your tank? What are the inhabitants? What are your water parameters? It could be dropsy, but I am not sure.
2 Gold Zebra Danios
2 Plecos
3 Bronze Cory
Loachie07
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.14(Sat)15:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

before my pictus died of a 4 day power outage, he was OK by himself. he was pertty shy, but he did OK. make sure you have a place for them to hide

anyway, has he eaten anything? their stomachs get big easily when they eat. if he hasn't, make sure none of your smaller fish are missing, for they do eat fish if they get hungry enough

still no? then we do need some more info Smile
jlchavez21
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)8:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the comments so far. I was wondering if I was missing a Neon tetra lately. (I think I had 8 but only 7 of them really schooled together so the loner might have fallen prey to the pictus) I have a 20 gallon tank with 7 (now) neons, 5 flame tetras, 3 diamond tetras, 2 small sivler dollars, and a dojo loach, and a bristlenose pleco. The water is fairly soft--I can't remember the exact numbers because it's been a few weeks since I last tested. The water is clear but tannin stained from the driftwood I have
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)8:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlchavez21 wrote:
The water is fairly soft--I can't remember the exact numbers because it's been a few weeks since I last tested. The water is clear but tannin stained from the driftwood I have

I would certainly keep this situation under a watchful eye (test your water regularly). If you already have soft water, the tannins might be causing it to be too soft, complicating issues with your pictus (who probably did get your neon). It's important to keep in mind that if your water becomes too acidic and soft, it can shutdown your biofiltration entirely (pH of 5.5- nitfirying bacteria slow consumption at 6.5). Especially in a tank with the fish you have (your tank is overstocked an ill suited to the pictus, Silver Dollars, and bristlenose, IMO), having functioning biofiltration becomes a life or death situation.

So, if you could post up your parameters and your tank specs (filtration, is it planted? CO2?) it would be really helpful in figuring out what is going on with your pictus.

Jake
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: