Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Apistogramma nijsseni [Babies Page 3!!!]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ACE
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.30(Sat)3:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcos ,

I recently purchased a pair of these beautiful fish ( 1 Male / 1 Female ) and have them setup in a heavily planted tank around the same volume as yours with larger rocks and driftwood and was wondering how they are with plants in their homes ? Is there any special food you give them ? and would recommend any other tank mates ? I have chosen to leave them as a pair and not add anyone else , is that a agood idea ? The male is a bit bigger than the female , but she holds her ground once he steps in around her ! Sorry with all the questions , I did some research on this species before I bought them but personal experiences from yourself or anyone else on this board would be greatfully accepted. Thanks !

ACE
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.30(Sat)5:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I only have 4 months of experience with these two and with Apistos in general so I anything I say should NOT be generalized...

MY couple seems to really love the densely planted paludarium, they spend a lot of time squeezing themselves in between Anubias leaves and Glossos to find edible critters and little bits of food.

They love frozen bloodworms and they've learned to eat a very simple, small grain sinking pellets for loaches, but they spit out almost everything else I have...freeze dried tubifex, Tetra Min Pro, and even a sinking Apisto pellet I bought because I'd thought they'd prefer it to the loach pellets.

I cannot recommend for or against any companions, 4 months is just not enough for that. MY female living in MY paludarium, seems to tolerate the male for now but usually wants to kill everything else. And even so, when she decides she wants to pick on the male, she's absolutely relentless...she's very intelligent and KNOWS he's in the tank somewhere so she pokes through every little niche, clearly hunting him out...
ACE
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.30(Sat)15:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply , I myself shall keep anyone here posted with my results with keeping this species.They currently seem to like their home and have plenty of open swimming room along with places to hide.The male though has brighten up a bit in colour and fans his fins everytime she comes around.I guess its typical cichlid behaviour ? As for the food recommendations , I will give some of these a try. Thanks again.

ACE
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.30(Sat)15:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

This photo series has been great! Good luck with the fry! Many people seem to claim this species is one of the more difficult apistos.
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)6:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, the babies have already completed a month of age so it's time for an update. There are indeed about 7-9 babies which are now between 6 and 9 mm in size. The larger ones are perfectly-shaped little apistos now, but no coloration yet, just some brownish patterns over a rather transparent body to keep them camouflaged. Their behavior is pretty much the same as the adults also, the typical move-stop-move-stop in search of scraps here and there, they even flare at each other sometimes!

Today I did a routine water change in the paludarium, which I like do opposite to normal tanks...first I fill up the tank completely, flooding the emmersed plants. I leave it like that for several hours before lowering the level again so the fish can have a ball exploring those upper levels...they absolutely LOVE it! And today for the first time the babies ventured up with the parents...this one's right beside a Christmas Moss bud that is normally just above water level:

Here you can see Momma in the background for size comparison:

One more, notice the red belly just filled up with decapsulated artemia!

Excellent camouflage against black beard algae Rolling Eyes

benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)7:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice- They all look very well nourished, just like they have swollen little puppy bellies.

Interesting stuff with the behaviour, it's kind of shocking to me that young ones would begin flaring at such an early age...guess they learned it by watching mom, hey?

Jake
Magnus
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)11:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcos wrote:
Today I did a routine water change in the paludarium, which I like do opposite to normal tanks...first I fill up the tank completely, flooding the emmersed plants. I leave it like that for several hours before lowering the level again so the fish can have a ball exploring those upper levels...they absolutely LOVE it! And today for the first time the babies ventured up with the parents...

LOL, high tide! Baby fish always makes me smile for some reason. I love the photos and the stories that come with them. Keep up the great work, Marcos.
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)17:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcos, Can we have a full shot of your paladrium pleaseeeee!
The babies look wonderful, and the whole setup seems very interesting. photos please : Very Happy
ACE
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.14(Sat)23:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I didn't want to start another topic on the board I shall add to this one for the time being.Well just after three weeks of keeping these species(One male/ female) they have spawned and now about a dozen or so of these little guys were swimming around the bottom of the tank with mom near by keeping a watch ! Dad was also near too but swimming mid water! Both parents seem to be doing a good job so far and when I get near the glass , they run up to where iam looking and kinda flare their fins at me , kinda funny but interesting too.I'am amazed at the short time these two got busy Very Happy ! My setup is an Eclipse 12 Gallon which includes lots or java fern , cryptocoryne wendtii , a medium sized peice of driftwood and a few large sized pebbles/rocks which most of the little ones are hiding in and around of.My pH is around the 6.8 area ( Co2 injected with a Hagen kit ) so I guess this range is good for spawning so I have found out.As too what happens next , well I shall let them be and hopefully a few or more survive to adulthood.

ACE
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Jump to: