Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Transcriptus
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Psyfalcon
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.12(Thu)10:35    Post subject: Transcriptus Reply with quote

One of my Julidocromis transcripus pair, and a pretty small fry. Excuse the algae, but thats all my fry get to eat Wink and they seem to be doing pretty well. Yes, that rock was once pink-tan granite before the algae took it over!

The blue fins don't show up as well in real life, the flash highlighted them pretty well. Often, the appear white in the wrong light.

They share the tank with 2 platies (formerly 3) and some fry, as well as the other half of the pair and 30+ julie fry. Some of the fry are now nearing an inch, so I need a growout tank.
TheVillageIdiot
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.12(Thu)11:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

beautiful! congrats on the fry! Do you have any more pics? How is the father? How long before the fry need to be separated from the parents?
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.05.12(Thu)15:46    Post subject: Re: Transcriptus Reply with quote

Psyfalcon wrote:
Some of the fry are now nearing an inch, so I need a growout tank.
Up your water changes and leave em be. If you remove them you'll miss the best part. The huge community setting of julies.
Increase your WC to compensate for waste and enjoy!
Gorgeous specimen.. good job on the algae. I think a lot of tangs are lost to an unwillingness to put up with algae... scrape the glass and it adds to the appeal of the tank. I'd love to see a tank wide shot if you haven't posted one yet.
Discus Man is gone... I remain... #6... I am not a number I am a free man!
Psyfalcon
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.12(Thu)15:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it is starting to look crowded. They are all getting along for now though, but I want to thin it a bit before WW3 breaks out. Perhaps later in the summer. I actually want to try a few fry in a tub pond Surprised

I think thats all I have now for pictures. I'm at school in vermont, and the tank is at home. That also means it goes 2mo without a water change at times. Thats why I am trying to keep it understocked! I try and make up for it when I'm home though, and I'm thinking of taking this tank next year.

Edit: That may be the father. They are very difficult to sex, and I havnt figured that mystery out yet.
Psyfalcon
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.12(Thu)16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I do have pictures. The full tank shots arent very good. And It hadnt grown its background yet Wink

Both Adults. The fatter one in the foreground is probably the female, but thats just going off of size and fatness. They don't show the dimorphism that many larger cichlids do.

Right side of the tank. Mostly flat granite perched on some rhyolitic cobbles. Forms a pretty nice cave system considering how little rock I actually have. The back corner is some coral that came with the tank (used). I really don't need it, but it does give some extra buffering.

Left side is some rocks and plants. Many plants are floating, just out of view. It gives the platies room to hide, off the bottom. And yes, a florecent ornament Very Happy
Sahara22588
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.14(Sat)8:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like julidochromis. They're really cute. The tank looks really nice, too. Lots of places for everyone to hide.

Byez! Very Happy
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: